Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

@pphanikumar wrote:

Hi

I have one query to add and answer needed.

I have purchased a HP Pavilion 2164TX with Core i7-720 processor, 4GB RAM, 500Gig HDD, 1GB Graphic Card.

However, the pre-installed OS is Windows 7 32-bit. I am a little bit disappointed with the option of the OS being a 32-bit Windows. It doesn't utilize the Hardware capabilities of the system. Only 3GB of RAM is usable.

Why did HP not pre-load a 64-bit OS to utilize the Hardware's capabilities?

Now, if I need to install a 64-bit Window 7, what is the process of upgradation?? Do I need to buy a new OS from Microsoft or is there any method of re-installing in the same pre-loaded software that came with the Laptop??

I cannot find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

Thanks & regards,

phani kumar

Yes. You will have to purchase a  64-bit Windows 7 OS to upgrade.  As long as you don't format the recovery partition, the software will still be available. 32-bit software does work on the 64-bit OS, but not the other way around. I have heard of people claiming to able to activate the 64-bit OS with the 32-bit OS key,  but there is no guarantee that it will work. Your laptop  came with the 32-bit key, so that is your only guarantee. BTW...64-bit drivers are still a bit difficult to find. The problem with laptop is that most have a maximum amount of memory that can be installed. If you really want your laptop to perform then do what I did and upgrade to an SSD hard drive. It is a less pricey upgrade than  purchasing the Windows 7  Ultimate x64 OS DVD.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

@ka0snz wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for you're awesome guide. I have an issue with memory that I was hoping you could solve for me.

I purchased a Compaq CQ60-302AU with a 303c motherboard. The product spec sheet specifies that the laptop can handle Dual channel memory. However I am not getting dual channel.

When clicking on computer properties it states 4gb of memory but after using several memory analyzer programs they all say I only have 2gb physical memory and a maximum page load of 4GB.

After calling and speaking with tech support I have been told that Vista only supports 3gb memory which I think is not correct.

If I have 2x 2gb memory modules in dual channel arrangement with a dual channel capable laptop. Why can I not get full access to my 4gb of installed ram.

I think this was false advertising on HP's part as I have noticed there are other people out there with the same model laptop that are having this issue.

This problem has been driving me nuts for such a long time and any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Heaps!

EDIT: after reading a few more pages in this thread I can see you say that 23 bit operating systems can only handle 3.25 gb of ram. Which makes me wonder why the store I purchased from ever attempted a 4gb dual channel set up. Ive have noticed in your guide you say that AMD chipsets have an exception and can have a 2gb and 1gb chip arrangement.

Now I know that 3gb ram is max possible in my laptop could you please let me know which ram I would need to purchase and also if its possible to upgrade my cpu I think it could handle

AMDTurion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache)

but Im not sure.. Also if the CPU is soldered to the motherboard is it possible for a technician to remove it and add the new cpu I purchase?

Thanks heaps

Hi,

The CPU is not soldered to the system board. 

If you already have 4GB installed don't change it. 4GB is better than 3GB. 4GB will run in dual channel mode. 3GB will not. A part of the installed memory is  already reserved for the onboard graphics solution. If you reduce the amount of installed memory to 3GB you would notice a graphics performance decrease.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

You've mentioned SSD Hard drive. Solid State HDD?? What is the comparision to HDD & OS?

Even if I have another hard disk, i have to install the OS, correct? or am I going wrong somewhere?

Kindly clarify my doubts.

Regards,

phani kumar

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your fast reply! 🙂 

If I was to upgrade my cpu now that I know I can which would you suggest I want the fastest possible for my model

Currently have Compaq cq60-302au
P/N NZ091PA

Current cpu = cpu info

Mother board is 303c

bios = HPQOEM-6040000

I have researched and come up with:

AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-75 (2.2 GHz, 1 MB L3 Cache)

AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-84 (2.3 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache)

AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-85 (2.3 GHz, 2 MB L3 Cache)

AMDTurion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache)

But was reading that AMD Turion Ultra Dual-Core ZM-80 because cpu must have 1800 ht timing... Not quite sure what that means.

And also I have been reading that upgrading to 64bit OS would give me greater access to my memory.

Thanks so much your a champion.

Regards

ka0snz

HP Recommended

After looking at the Maintenence and service guide for this model Compaq CQ60 found here maintence service guide.

In the CPU subtab it has a list of AMD processors which I believe are compatable. As well as that it lists the part numbers of all the available cpus.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

HP Recommended

Hi,

@pphanikumar wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

You've mentioned SSD Hard drive. Solid State HDD?? What is the comparision to HDD & OS?

Even if I have another hard disk, i have to install the OS, correct? or am I going wrong somewhere?

Kindly clarify my doubts.

Regards,

phani kumar

SSD hard disks, particularly The Intel and OCZ SSD's speed up the OS.

The OS  is located on the hard disk and no longer limited by the considerably slower  mechanical interface of the IDE/PATA for read/write access. Using an SSD also lowers the temperature and noise level of a laptop.

For a HDD to be the boot drive you have to install the OS.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Erico can you please let me know if the Turion Ultra zm-80 would be ok with my current laptop. I dont want to waste 200 dollars on something that wont work.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hi,

@ka0snz wrote:

Erico can you please let me know if the Turion Ultra zm-80 would be ok with my current laptop. I don't want to waste 200 dollars on something that wont work.

Cheers

Only the processors in the list that I posted are guaranteed compatible (BIOS support) by HP. The reason is actually quite simple. Each processor has different voltage requirements and multipliers and internal bus speeds ( For AMD processors, that is what the 1800 HT  that you asked about is). Those listed by HP as compatible have been rigorously tested by HP. The appropriate tables have placed in the BIOS firmware before being marketed and delivered as options to consumers .

Use of any others than those listed is at your own $$ risk.  can also corrupt the Windows Operating System  HAL and render your laptop's windows installation no longer usable.

Many forum members have asked the question. This is the first time I have explained exactly why using an unsupported processor is  a plan with inherent risks. For the risk takers in our ranks --> go for it, after all the risk is completely yours. 😉

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Thanks so much Erico! It's slowly starting to make sense for me 🙂 I have ordered the Turion x2 ultra ZM-80 and will try installing in the next few weeks or so.

On a side note Im running 32 Vista Home premium and tried a 64 bit windows 7 custom install. It froze at about 54 percent and hit me with the blue screen of death. I tried a couple more times and got the same result so I tried a 32bit custom install and that worked fine.

Im guessing my cpu, or motherboard cant handle 64 bit?

HP Recommended

@ka0snz wrote:

After looking at the Maintenence and service guide for this model Compaq CQ60 found here maintence service guide.

In the CPU subtab it has a list of AMD processors which I believe are compatable. As well as that it lists the part numbers of all the available cpus.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct. Don't concern yourself with the HP part number. If you buy the processor from HP it will cost considerably more than if if you buy it from a online vendor. All you need to do is use the AMD part number to buy the correct CPU.

Best regards,
erico

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.