Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I do have one more small question, and that is what is a JRE environment ? Now remember I'm just a novice at all of this, but I just need a push in the direction! I do believe I can master the rest of your advice.

Thanks

9yearslost, paid the price so lets move on.
HP Recommended

Hi,

@9yearslost wrote:

I do have one more small question, and that is what is a JRE environment ? Now remember I'm just a novice at all of this, but I just need a push in the direction! I do believe I can master the rest of your advice.

Thanks

JRE is a Java Runtime Environment.  That is what enables the java programs that are part of the web pages that you view while surfing the net to run. You can get one at Sun for your OS. 

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I want to upgrade HDD in my Hp notebook compeq presario V3742TU,

so How can I know the compatibility of my Notebook Pc,

right now I am using 160gb, 5400rpm HDD in it, with vista it is quite slow,

I want to upgrade my system with so want to know that I am able to extend the hard drive till which capacity,

I want to put at least 700gb or 1Tb Hard drive,

please assist me to extend Hard drive

with regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

There is no guarantee that replacing the SATA hard disk with a 700GB or 1TB drive  will work .

I have seen instances where members have upgraded their laptop's hard disks to 500GB but very few beyond that.  Upgrading to a 320 GB hard disk will work.

You can try it but the financial risk is completely yours.

If you are successful please report your success here in the forum so others searching for an answer can refer to your own upgrade project as the basis for a successful upgrade.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I've finally made some headway with the NVIDIA GeForce 4 448 Go. After lots of searching I came across a NVIDIA nTUNE and NVIDIA System Monitor which both have cured a great deal of problems. With the current JRE and the most current Flash I think everything is working much more efficiently. So once again thank you for all your help!

9yearslost, paid the price so lets move on.
HP Recommended

For anyone who has upgraded a Compaq 715us (700 series) notebook.

This notebook has done well for us.  It has lasted nearly a decade and it's only shortcomings even now are its limit of 512 MB of memory and its USB 1.1 ports.  I've already ordered a replacement for the 20 GB IDE HD.  I'm replacing it with a Compact Flash to IDE adapter and adding one 32 GB CF 466x memory card.  If this works well I can add a second 32 GB or 64 GB CF card (the 32 GB is only $76).  The 3.5" diskette drive is useless these days, but I doubt there is any way to use this space for anything.  The DVD/CD-RW drive is iffy, but still working since I worked on it recently (a little nail polish to stop the spindle from slipping or coming off did the job).  We had to replace the keyboard a couple of years ago after spilling some vinegar on it, (from our RV kitchen).  I will add a 4 port USB 2.0 cardbus adapter in the future to allow higher speed data transfers.  This will also require a new 802.11n USB adapter instead of the cardbus adapter we have now.

I will update this in a week or two to advise how the drive upgrade went.

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to the 512 MB memory limit?  I'm going to add Win7 Pro on this machine and of course it would like 1 GB of memory as a minimum.  TurboBoost won't be useful because the Flash HD will speed up the disk access, but I'm wondering if there is any way to increase the effective memory besides using the pagefile.  I will set up the pagefile as a large static file, probably 2-4 GB, and I'm hoping this will effectively increase the memory that the OS and applications see.

All of these additions add about $200 to the machine.  I figure that if I can get it running with Win7, that the 1.2 GHz mobile Athlon on board is a better investment than buying a new netbook with an Atom single- or dual-core and will save some money.

What are your thoughts?  Results to follow. 

P.S.  I'm amazed the spell check was missing so many words and mnemonics:  Compaq, Athlon, GB, MB, OS, HD,  IDE, etc.

HP Pavilion tx2120us running Win7 Ultimate
System Admin and Analyst
HP Recommended

Hi,

@wand wrote:

For anyone who has upgraded a Compaq 715us (700 series) notebook.

This notebook has done well for us.  It has lasted nearly a decade and it's only shortcomings even now are its limit of 512 MB of memory and its USB 1.1 ports.  I've already ordered a replacement for the 20 GB IDE HD.  I'm replacing it with a Compact Flash to IDE adapter and adding one 32 GB CF 466x memory card.  If this works well I can add a second 32 GB or 64 GB CF card (the 32 GB is only $76).  The 3.5" diskette drive is useless these days, but I doubt there is any way to use this space for anything.  The DVD/CD-RW drive is iffy, but still working since I worked on it recently (a little nail polish to stop the spindle from slipping or coming off did the job).  We had to replace the keyboard a couple of years ago after spilling some vinegar on it, (from our RV kitchen).  I will add a 4 port USB 2.0 cardbus adapter in the future to allow higher speed data transfers.  This will also require a new 802.11n USB adapter instead of the cardbus adapter we have now.

I will update this in a week or two to advise how the drive upgrade went.

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to the 512 MB memory limit?  I'm going to add Win7 Pro on this machine and of course it would like 1 GB of memory as a minimum.  TurboBoost won't be useful because the Flash HD will speed up the disk access, but I'm wondering if there is any way to increase the effective memory besides using the pagefile.  I will set up the pagefile as a large static file, probably 2-4 GB, and I'm hoping this will effectively increase the memory that the OS and applications see.

All of these additions add about $200 to the machine.  I figure that if I can get it running with Win7, that the 1.2 GHz mobile Athlon on board is a better investment than buying a new netbook with an Atom single- or dual-core and will save some money.

What are your thoughts?  Results to follow. 

P.S.  I'm amazed the spell check was missing so many words and mnemonics:  Compaq, Athlon, GB, MB, OS, HD,  IDE, etc.

1GB or more RAM is a minimum system requirement for Windows 7. Have you run Microsoft's  Windows 7 system advisor to see if your laptop has the capabilities required? The cost of upgrading your trusty old laptop may end up coming close to exceeding the lowest purchase price of a new Windows 7 capable laptop.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Fortunately I have the luxury of a TechNet Plus Subscription to be able to try out various configurations before purchasing an upgrade.  Vista wouldn't work, but I've seen others who have managed to get Win7 to work with 512 MB of RAM.  I will lose 32 MB to shared video memory.  I was hoping somebody had another solution to emulate system RAM to increase the apparent memory.  The cardbus is rated at 1.5 Gb/s.  Unfortunately there is only one cardbus slot.

The machine is a good music machine and I'm hoping the HD upgrade will allow it to be used as a media server for our HDTV 1080i.  The VGA out displays fine on our LCD TV.

If we have to we can go back to XP Pro and make it work.  We just don't know yet if the HD speed increase will give us the ability to run Netflix online.  DVDs work fine.

Thanks for all of your great help and dedication to this forum.  We are all very fortunate to have you as a resource.

Walt

System Admin and Analyst
HP Recommended

HI,

You can upgrade your laptop to 1 GB RAM. Here is a Google search I did that brought up some guaranteed compatible RAM for your laptop. That should help the performance of the laptop.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico,

The only one on the first page that had 1 GB of memory was Pell Technology.  This is supposedly a 1 GB single module that was made for the 715us.  I can find no other reference from anyone, and certainly not Compaq or HP that says a 715 can use more than 512 MB.  I wonder what gives.  I will call Pell tomorrow and find out for sure.  A 1 Gb module would in fact be a 128 MB module which was available from Compaq.  I wonder if this is a misprint?  Has anyone had any dealings with Pell Technology?

System Admin and Analyst
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.