Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy m6 1158ca
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I recently had a problem with my HP envy and had to reformat my entire drive and I lost the HP recovery image that came with the laptop. I did a clean install of a Windows 8.1 iso instead but I keep getting a black screen issue when I download and install the video card drivers. The warranty expired on the laptop a while ago and I'm really strapped for cash ATM so I can't buy the recovery disks. Is there anyway to download an iso of the recovery disk? Or someway to solve this problem that happens when I download and install drivers or updates? Would doing a Windows 10 clean install help? I just need my computer to be functional again, I don't care how that gets accomplished as long as it is done.

This laptop is incredibly important to me, if I can't afford to purchase the recovery disk I certainly can't afford a new computer.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @ChaqMol,

Welcome back to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that your HP Envy m6-1158ca is not operating correctly. I want to help you resolve this issue.

Did you create recovery media when you purchased the notebook, which would store the recovery partition on the selected media?

At which point does the black screen appear?

First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, try the troubleshooting steps from these documents:

HP PCs - Black or blank screen with blinking cursor after entering Windows password

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 😎

You can also try this method for updating your graphics drivers:

Updating the Graphics Drivers

1. Download this file: sp59678.exe (AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

8.982.10.6000)

2. Click the Windows key + R

3. Type devmgmt.msc and then click OK

4. Click the view tab, then on hidden devices

5. Click on the little + beside the display adapters

6. Right-click on the display adapter, then click properties

7. Go to the Driver tab

8. Click on Update Driver

9. Select the option that says Browse my computer for driver software

10. The file will be located at C:\SWSetup\sp59678.exe The path will be: Computer OS (C: ) SWSETUP sp59678.exe (Make sure the check box called Include subfolders is checked)

11. Click Next

12. Reboot the computer

I'm not so sure Windows 10 would help you in this case as the native operating system to this notebook is not working correctly.

I look forward to your reply!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

>Did you create recovery media when you purchased the notebook, which would store the recovery partition on the selected media?

No I didn't. I never created a backup of the recovery partition.

>At which point does the black screen appear?

The black screen appears during the graphics driver installation. If it doesn't appear during the installation then it appears after the reboot at which the login screen will appear for about a little less than a second and then the black screen will appear.

I figured I should add that at no point during any of these black screens has my cursor appeared. The screen is always turned on and solid black.

Below is a screenshot of my device manager window before I installed the driver you referred me to along with the error that it is throwing at me. The first display adapter is my Intel HD 4000 and the second one, the one with the error message is my AMD Radeon Mobility HD7670, if that's relevant.

I performed the hard reset on my PC and then attempted to install the  sp59678.exe driver only to be met by the black screen during the installation once again.

Untitled.png

HP Recommended

Hello @ChaqMol,

Thank you for the reply!

There is no online download for the recovery partition of this notebook.

I suggest restoring the BIOS using external media as it looks like the computer is not recognizing the display adapters in the notebook. Restoring the BIOS will cause the motherboard to research all of the hardware in the notebook.

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

Here is the link to the driver page for your notebook:

HP ENVY m6-1158ca Notebook PC Drivers

I look forward to the results!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Alright, so I updated my bios version to the current one (F.26) like you said, however the computer still doesn't recognize the the display adapter as you can see below.

I also took the PC to a computer shop this morning and they told me that this is the sixth Envy they've seen in the past few months with this problem and that they haven't been able to resolve it, so I'm starting to lose hope here.

1.png

HP Recommended

Hello @ChaqMol,

I do notice there are a lot of "Unknown devices" in the device manager as well. This could have something to do with the Windows Installer.

1. Click on the Windows key + R 

2. Type "services.msc"

3. Scroll down to "Windows Installer"

4. The "Startup Type" should be "Automatic" and "Status" should be "Running". If they are not, continue to the next step.

5. Right-click on "Windows Installer", then select "Start"

6. Once that is complete, try running "Windows Updates, and installing the graphics drivers again.

Microsoft - Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Let me know how it goes!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I followed the steps you outlined and it seems to have fixed the problem with all the "unknown devices" appearing in the device manager.

However, there was one problem during that process. It failed to install the AMD driver. So I rebooted the computer (now with the windows updates installed, minus the AMD drivers which failed) and then tried to install the AMD drivers again. It appeared to have succeeded but I got the black screen again right after the computer booted.

I tried one other thing on my own too, I cleaned out the intel graphics drivers from safe-mode, rebooted, and then installed the AMD drivers also from safe-mode. After installing the AMD drivers, I went to the AMD driver support page and downloaded their newest beta drivers (16.2.1) and successfully installed them from normal windows.

The computer seems to work fine now, with the exception of the functions lost from deleting the intel drivers. For example I can no longer adjust the brightness settings on my screen. So it would seem that I essentially traded the functionality of one card for the other. It seems to me like there is some problem between the two cards; something must be conflicting between them because the install order for the drivers doesn't seem to matter much. With the exception that the intel installation seems fully functional.

Below is a screencap of my device manager window as it currently is. As you can see, there still appears an error code, but it is now a different one. So I doubt that the driver is functioning well, or at least well enough for me to get by. I'm currently downloading a video game for my computer to run to test the current capabilities/functionality of these drivers.

Untitled1.png

EDIT: After I posted this response I looked back at my device manager window and saw that error had disappeared as you can see below. I also did not do any reboots or mess about with any software inbetween screenshots.

Untitled2.png

HP Recommended

Hello @ChaqMol,

Did you try installing the Intel drivers after installing the AMD ones?

Let me know how the functionality turns out.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Yeah I did. Upon installing the intel drivers, I came across the problem with the black screen. This time it would consistently occur right after the boot, before the login screen. Where as before when I installed first the intel drivers follwed by the AMD drivers the black screen would come up right as the login screen would display. So the login screen would flash for a sec and then go black.

In the following screen shot, on the left, you can see that the AMD driver is installed while the intel card is running on the default microsoft drivers. You can also see that I'm able to run AMD's Catalyst Control Center, however the integrated graphics options aren't present (not really a surprise there). This is all with the driver still displaying the same error in my earlier post (code 43).Untitled3.png

Earlier today though, when I went to open Catalyst Control Center it came up with an error saying that it didn't recognize any AMD drivers being installed, or something along those lines. I'll try to see if I can reproduce the error and take a screencap of it.

As far as testing the functionality of the drivers as they currently are, I'm downloading and will try to run Dark Souls 3 because it is the game that I was playing when this problem first appeared. The game is pretty demanding and I believe will be a good marker for functionality.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be done downloading it and can see if it runs properly and then I'll post a more complete update.

One other question, let's say that no other solutions can be found if we continue troubleshooting and attempting fixes; would purchasing a recovery disk and running it have a good chance at fixing the problem? At this stage $25 to get this computer fixed is a small price to pay.

UPDATE: So I just tested Dark Souls 3, and unfortunately it doesn't run properly. Seems like the drivers are in fact hindering it. The card gets really hot though, just like it used to, so I take that as a good sign that it is still doing some sort of work.  However it would seem that it's rendering capabilities are gimped and I'm still missing all the functions of the intel card, due to it not having its proper drivers installed.

HP Recommended

I've been looking at the other devices and I realized that the device "PCI Device" is the AMD card.

Untitled5.png

The card is showing different errors. Is this a hardware issue at this point?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.