Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8540w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I own an HP elitebook 8540w laptop with running windows 7. Is it advisable to upgrade to windows 10? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mrstenter, I don't think you're understanding the topic at hand.

HP Support Assistant won't see that Windows 10 is a viable OS for this laptop, so, it won't find anything for it.

While most of the components do indeed have several updates, available from the component OEM, HP has been terrible about supporting this "Enterprise-Grade" "Elite" mobile Workstation.

The Support Site for the 8540w has been a mess, and terribly inconsistent, pretty much the whole time it's been available, it's a big reason that when it was time for a platform update, I went for a Dell M4800 instead of the comparible EliteBook/ZenBook/ProBook.

Now, @Bredzy as far as Windows 10 is concerned; I let the upgrade happen to mine:

I tried 8 and 8.1 out on it, and went back to 7 both times.

10 has been good so far.

All of the drivers I have in place before the upgrade were still in place after the upgrade, which was nice, and even OneDrive is syncing, despite the fact that I don't login with my hotmail account.

If you do rely on the mobile broadband card, you'll probably be a bit stuck there.

I haven't tried the fingerprint reader out again, yet, because even in 7, the weird blend of Validity and ProtectTools never really jived for me, plus, PT only integrated with IE, which, I basically never use, so it was pretty worthless once the laptop is initially unlocked.

If you want to get most of your drivers updated before the upgrade, here's links to everything I use, from legitimate sources (Intel, AMD or Nvidia, HP)

From HP:

BIOS F.50(8 Jul 2014)  sp67214.exe
USB 3.0 Firmware 3.0.34.08 F402003 (1 August 2012) sp54705.exe

USB 3.0 Driver 2.1.36.0(1 Aug 2012) sp54511.exe

Intel IMEI/AMT Firmware 6.2.40.1045(31 Oct 2012) sp59666.exe

Intel IMEI/AMT/SOL Version:6.2.40.1045 (5 Nov 2012) sp59684.exe

NVIDIA Video Driver 341.49 Rev.F(23 Mar 2015)  sp70983.exe 

Fingerprint Sensor 4.5.133.0(20 Jun 2014) sp66915.exe

Quick Launch Buttons 6.50.18.1 REV: A sp49456.exe

Media Card Reader 2.14.00.05(8 Jan 2010) sp46999.exe

From AMD:

Choice 1: FirePro Mobile, specifically for this laptop

v8.911.3.4 (19 Jun 2012) 

Choice 2: Radeon Mobile, which works fine

15.7.1 (28 Jul 2015)

From Intel:

Wireless (I have the 6300, so that's what I'm linking)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25223/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

I'd recommend the driver-only package, PROSet is not that useful for normal WiFi needs

Version: 18.12.1 (Latest)
Date: 08/17/2015

Wired: Based on mine having the 82577LM Gb Nic
Version: 20.3 (Latest)
Date: 08/13/2015

Chipset:

9.2.0.1030 (21 Apr 2011) was the last version to officially support our 5-Series QM57/HM57

Exe version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20019/

Zip version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/

Rapid Storage (Vital if you have an SSD)

12.9.0.1001 (12 Dec 2013) was the final version to support our 5 Series

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

Version: 12.9.0.1001 (Previously Released)
Date: 12/12/2013

I think that will take care of any yellow bang missing drivers in device manager, with the latest available, essentially supported versions of everything.

A couple of those actually add support for 8 (Nvidia, fingerprint, AMD option 2, the direct-from-intel stuff), and aside from re-updating the Video Driver after the 10 Upgrade, everything else on mine seems fine so far.

Good luck

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi @Bredzy ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I also recommend to back up your files pictures and music too, just in case

The transition to Windows 10 will be smooth and easy, but if there is an issue you will have all the necessary tools to restore your Computer and your precious documents.

Here are links to Backing up your Data. Windows 8 and Windows 7

Here are links on Creating recovery discs or a USB flash drive. Windows 8 and Windows 7.

Here are links that will help if the Recovery Media fails for some reason. Windows 8 and Windows 7.

And finally here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

I hope this helps anyone with the transition to Windows 10.Smiley Very Happy

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I'm not sure that is a helpful reponse.

I have tried an upgrade from Win & to WIn 10 with my Elitebook 8540w and find the fingerprint recognition drivers do not work in 10 - and as HP has no Connection Manager for WIn 10 for this Elitebook,  Connection Manager and the Ericcson SIM software are both disabled. 

Unless you use neither, dont do it.  HP have not bothered to offer any downloads for this Elitebook and that is a clue...

I am just about to roll back my install of 10 which was a complete waste waste of time.  

HP offer no support for this machine and have made no preparations for anyone doing this upgrade on this machine.

Mark

HP Recommended

Hey @Mareksr,

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

If for some reason you have turned off your updates, that could be where the issue lies. This link shows you how to turn on Windows updates.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@Mrstenter, I don't think you're understanding the topic at hand.

HP Support Assistant won't see that Windows 10 is a viable OS for this laptop, so, it won't find anything for it.

While most of the components do indeed have several updates, available from the component OEM, HP has been terrible about supporting this "Enterprise-Grade" "Elite" mobile Workstation.

The Support Site for the 8540w has been a mess, and terribly inconsistent, pretty much the whole time it's been available, it's a big reason that when it was time for a platform update, I went for a Dell M4800 instead of the comparible EliteBook/ZenBook/ProBook.

Now, @Bredzy as far as Windows 10 is concerned; I let the upgrade happen to mine:

I tried 8 and 8.1 out on it, and went back to 7 both times.

10 has been good so far.

All of the drivers I have in place before the upgrade were still in place after the upgrade, which was nice, and even OneDrive is syncing, despite the fact that I don't login with my hotmail account.

If you do rely on the mobile broadband card, you'll probably be a bit stuck there.

I haven't tried the fingerprint reader out again, yet, because even in 7, the weird blend of Validity and ProtectTools never really jived for me, plus, PT only integrated with IE, which, I basically never use, so it was pretty worthless once the laptop is initially unlocked.

If you want to get most of your drivers updated before the upgrade, here's links to everything I use, from legitimate sources (Intel, AMD or Nvidia, HP)

From HP:

BIOS F.50(8 Jul 2014)  sp67214.exe
USB 3.0 Firmware 3.0.34.08 F402003 (1 August 2012) sp54705.exe

USB 3.0 Driver 2.1.36.0(1 Aug 2012) sp54511.exe

Intel IMEI/AMT Firmware 6.2.40.1045(31 Oct 2012) sp59666.exe

Intel IMEI/AMT/SOL Version:6.2.40.1045 (5 Nov 2012) sp59684.exe

NVIDIA Video Driver 341.49 Rev.F(23 Mar 2015)  sp70983.exe 

Fingerprint Sensor 4.5.133.0(20 Jun 2014) sp66915.exe

Quick Launch Buttons 6.50.18.1 REV: A sp49456.exe

Media Card Reader 2.14.00.05(8 Jan 2010) sp46999.exe

From AMD:

Choice 1: FirePro Mobile, specifically for this laptop

v8.911.3.4 (19 Jun 2012) 

Choice 2: Radeon Mobile, which works fine

15.7.1 (28 Jul 2015)

From Intel:

Wireless (I have the 6300, so that's what I'm linking)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25223/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

I'd recommend the driver-only package, PROSet is not that useful for normal WiFi needs

Version: 18.12.1 (Latest)
Date: 08/17/2015

Wired: Based on mine having the 82577LM Gb Nic
Version: 20.3 (Latest)
Date: 08/13/2015

Chipset:

9.2.0.1030 (21 Apr 2011) was the last version to officially support our 5-Series QM57/HM57

Exe version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20019/

Zip version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/

Rapid Storage (Vital if you have an SSD)

12.9.0.1001 (12 Dec 2013) was the final version to support our 5 Series

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

Version: 12.9.0.1001 (Previously Released)
Date: 12/12/2013

I think that will take care of any yellow bang missing drivers in device manager, with the latest available, essentially supported versions of everything.

A couple of those actually add support for 8 (Nvidia, fingerprint, AMD option 2, the direct-from-intel stuff), and aside from re-updating the Video Driver after the 10 Upgrade, everything else on mine seems fine so far.

Good luck

HP Recommended

I've updated since and I've had no problems! To be honest. I think the machine runs better.. Thanks!!!!!

HP Recommended

I have updated to W8.1 and want to go to W10.  I ran HP Assistant and seem to be up to date on drivers.  My question is whether I should go with the 32 or 64 bit version of W10?  W8.1 is 32 Bit, but I think the HP EB 8540w is capable of running 64 bit.   So which one should I install?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,
I have installed Windows 10.
The guarantee my PC ended in December 2013 and HP does not guarantee compatibility with windows10 for a PC that predates August 2013.
Everything runs on Windows10 except for logon with fingerprint reader with the account microsoft, Microsoft Hello does not appear in list.
Logon with fingerprint reader works with the local account.
validity sensor 4.5.133.020 June 2014 and 4.0.15.0 Rev. TO March 18, 2010

Is the validity of sensor version works for some people with Wndows10 and Microsoft Hello?

Salut,
Je l'ai installé Windows 10.
La garantie mon PC a pris fin en Décembre 2013 et HP ne garantit pas la compatibilité avec windows10 pour un PC qui est antérieure à Août 2013.
Tout fonctionne sur Windows10, sauf pour la connexion avec lecteur d'empreintes digitales avec le compte Microsoft, Microsoft Bonjour ne figure pas dans la liste.
Connexion avec lecteur d'empreintes digitales fonctionne avec le compte local.
capteur de validité 4.5.133.020 Juin 2014 et 4.0.15.0 Rev. A
Le 18 mars 2010

Est-ce que la version de capteur de validité fonctionne pour certaines personnes avec Wndows10 et Microsoft Hello ?
HP Recommended

i am facing the same problem too

HP Recommended

old post

complex question and answer.

so what do you need to work?, that is the question

only 2 drivers failed,  SD and 3D but both the w7 driver load and run ,giving you a clean DM.

so what's left? ,well the huge list of W7 applications

the security package is DOA (w10 not released)

and then all the others.... huge list....

so name what matters to you,  and Ill test it.

i dont need any of that but , if you do name it. ill try;

here they are.....

long list.

MS hello,  ( doa)

see the   software solutions ?  these do you need these.?  28 programs HP.total. +2 for managements...

quite overwhelming, no?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=4096176&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4060

power assistant works, as doest the w7, power panel driver.

softpaq is hopeless, after all it loads all w7 suite so, is DOA -W10. be the last to work if ever.

running RAID?

lojack

intel protect

drive encryption

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.