Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During the last days I've been dealing withe issue that my laptop is not recognizing the usb ports and wifi. After several restarts, it works fine. My drivers are up-to-date, so I don't know why I'm having this awful issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome @hildergarn, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I understand that you are having an issue with your Wi-Fi and the USB ports on your HP Notebook PC. 

My first suggestion would be to use the Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet Tool. At the bottom it will ask you questions to help you diagnose the issue. 

Please take a look at this great document called Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet. This document will help you troubleshoot the Wi-Fi issue. 

Have you tried to Restore the BIOS

Have you tried to directly connect to the Modem/Router? 

Have you uninstalled the driver in the Device Manager?

Please try to uninstall the driver in the Device Manager using the following steps:  

• Go to the Device Manager.
  • Expand Network Adapters.
  • Right click on all of the Network Adapters individually.
  • Click Uninstall.
  • Restart the Notebook twice.

How many devices are you trying to connect?

What are you trying to connect via USB?

Did you happen to try using the HP Support Assistant? 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you have not tried it yet. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating. 

Below are other troubleshooting steps that may help also. If the USB device does not display in Device Manager, then there might be a power requirement issue. Disconnect the device and perform the following steps until the device is detected:

• Restart the Notebook
  • Connect the device and wait 5 seconds.

• If the device does not show up, try connecting to a different USB port.

• If the USB device displays in Device Manager after connecting the cable to a different port, then uninstall and reinstall the USB device software driver.

If the device is not recognized in any port, disconnect it and go to the next step.

• Open Device Manager.
  • Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers,

• Double-click a USB Root Hub,

• Click the Power tab,

• Click Power Properties (if it is shown).

Devices that are attached to the hub are shown, as well as the power that they require. If the total displayed power is over 500 mA, remove the devices and use a powered hub.

• Continue looking at the power properties of each USB hub. If the total Power Required exceeds the Total power available for the hub, then remove a device on that hub to lower the Power Required number.

• Connect the device and wait 5 seconds. If the device is not recognized, disconnect it and go to the next step.

Please Note; remove high-speed USB cables that are over 3 m (9.8 ft) in length and use high-speed cables that are shorter than 3 m.

Source: Troubleshooting USB connections - Please look at this document and follow all of the steps provided in it. 

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Please re-post and let me know the detailed results of all the troubleshooting steps in this post. Could you please provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) also. 

Look forward to hearing from you!

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Welcome @hildergarn, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I understand that you are having an issue with your Wi-Fi and the USB ports on your HP Notebook PC. 

My first suggestion would be to use the Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet Tool. At the bottom it will ask you questions to help you diagnose the issue. 

Please take a look at this great document called Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet. This document will help you troubleshoot the Wi-Fi issue. 

Have you tried to Restore the BIOS

Have you tried to directly connect to the Modem/Router? 

Have you uninstalled the driver in the Device Manager?

Please try to uninstall the driver in the Device Manager using the following steps:  

• Go to the Device Manager.
  • Expand Network Adapters.
  • Right click on all of the Network Adapters individually.
  • Click Uninstall.
  • Restart the Notebook twice.

How many devices are you trying to connect?

What are you trying to connect via USB?

Did you happen to try using the HP Support Assistant? 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you have not tried it yet. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating. 

Below are other troubleshooting steps that may help also. If the USB device does not display in Device Manager, then there might be a power requirement issue. Disconnect the device and perform the following steps until the device is detected:

• Restart the Notebook
  • Connect the device and wait 5 seconds.

• If the device does not show up, try connecting to a different USB port.

• If the USB device displays in Device Manager after connecting the cable to a different port, then uninstall and reinstall the USB device software driver.

If the device is not recognized in any port, disconnect it and go to the next step.

• Open Device Manager.
  • Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers,

• Double-click a USB Root Hub,

• Click the Power tab,

• Click Power Properties (if it is shown).

Devices that are attached to the hub are shown, as well as the power that they require. If the total displayed power is over 500 mA, remove the devices and use a powered hub.

• Continue looking at the power properties of each USB hub. If the total Power Required exceeds the Total power available for the hub, then remove a device on that hub to lower the Power Required number.

• Connect the device and wait 5 seconds. If the device is not recognized, disconnect it and go to the next step.

Please Note; remove high-speed USB cables that are over 3 m (9.8 ft) in length and use high-speed cables that are shorter than 3 m.

Source: Troubleshooting USB connections - Please look at this document and follow all of the steps provided in it. 

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Please re-post and let me know the detailed results of all the troubleshooting steps in this post. Could you please provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) also. 

Look forward to hearing from you!

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.