Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Recently purchased a new HP Laptop and I am in the process of uninstalling unnecessary software that was added by HP, (bloatware as some call it) but this is the first time I have seen Energy Star Software. I have had many HP computers and my 1 year old HP desktop did not come with Energy Star Software so it’s either a new item or more specific to laptops or tablets.

I have searched the net but can’t lock in on specifically what it does, obviously something to do with power configurations but everything I have read indicates that it is not needed and can be uninstalled without problems. I intend to uninstall this software but I would like to determine if it has any benefit and then decide for myself if I want to keep it. Also, I did find one reference that said it might be difficult to uninstall from the Programs & Features page which would not surprise me because some of the other junk HP installs has a history of leaving things behind after uninstall.

So, can anyone give me any details about Energy Star Software and can it be uninstalled without problems?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@gator2013 

In answer to your questions about EnergyStar, and the HP EnergyStar software:

HP Energy Star Software: The program provides the ENERGY STAR Qualified Power Plan. ENERGY STAR is a program to promote superior energy efficiency. This package provides ENERGY STAR compliant power options.

And you can look at the details of the government certification as part of the Clean Air Act, below:

About ENERGY STAR - energystar.gov 

How a Product Earns the ENERGY STAR Label -energystar.gov

So essentially, it is a configuration providing for more energy efficiency in operation to reduce power consumption, and indirectly carbon emissions and also to save you money.

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I appreciate your reply but what I am really looking for is specifically what that power configuration is.  None of the published information provides any specific information as to the actual configuration.  Exactly what is being configured?  Processor performance, wireless performance, memory usage, cooling capabilities or what?  I assume the HP Recommended Power Plan would be the one that contains the Energy Star Power Configuration but looking at advanced settings for the HP Recommended Plan there is no significant difference between that and the other plans.  I am all for consuming less power, I have been deliberately driving a fuel efficient car most of my life so I care about conserving energy but I would still like to know exactly what parameters this energy plan is adjusting.

Thanks Again For Your Time

HP Recommended

That is a VERY good question and I notice it didn't get answered, not in detail anyway.

Exactly what does it do?  Reduce the transmit power on the Wi-Fi card (and therefore reduce data-rates as a consequence) reduce processor speed etc etc etc.  It would be nice to know.

I like the idea of what it's doing; I just don't like the idea of HOW it's doing it.

So, HP, please let us know just what this software does... I'd like to know whether it's worth uninstalling it or not!

Regards,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi im a new owner of a used HP Stream 11-r015wm and this is my first HP and i was wondering if its safe to uninstall Energy Star. I'm trying to uninstall apps that i dont need and i came across Energy Star.

HP Stream Notebook 11-r015wm
HP Recommended

Hi @QuiteVampire,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. 

HP Energy Star Software: The program provides the ENERGY STAR Qualified Power Plan. ENERGY STAR is a program to promote superior energy efficiency. This package provides ENERGY STAR compliant power options.

And you can look at the details of the government certification as part of the Clean Air Act, below:

About Energy Star - energystar.gov

How a Product Earns the ENERGY STAR Label - energystar.gov

There is a previous post replied by Malygris1 who have explained the importance of Energy Star. I would suggest not to delete the program. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP again with their awesome answers :D.

HP Recommended

Did some research for you, but cannot be sure because I do not have the test environment for this app.

I think if you install this app Energy Star, you will get an additional power plan in energy settings (control panel).

If you want to know the exact tweaks this powerplan does, you will have to look in the powerplan detailed options.

Depending on metrics like sleep on notebook close, reduce processor speed, put HDD in hibernate when...,

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended
The funny thing about HP I noticed is that they have great support. Well I have always had great support but in some cases they don't have good tools to power up their support. A good example is when I refreshed my pc with their thumb drive, it wiped alot of useful apps from hp off and it was not in the softpaq or download page. Bare in mind that the energystar software was one of them.

When I went into my powrplans it didnt have the HP recommended or Dream color plan hiw ever after a few boots it seemed to come back.

With that being said I think the executable file will probably have a connection to the power plans and not directly be the power plans. Maybe it selects a plan and eases the cpu, fan trotted aND battery or it could even lower voltage coming in
HP Recommended

Beyond the Energy Star trust mark and link to standards compliance, I would imagine that, the energy star program that appears to sit in the install/uninstall menu, has some type of influence on the advanced settings menu within the edit energy plan settings. A comparison of before and after uninstall might cause evidence of this theory. Toward that end, if I uninstall the energy star program, where can I retrieve the trust mark program from HP for a new install/reinstall, to check for unnecessary "bloatware."

p.s. HP volunteers in this thread appear bent on programming circumvention, solutions normally mean QC parts inspection.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.