Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP support assitant recently updated my Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver, but it updated it to a version released in 2014, a version that has a fatal memory leak when running open GL applications.

HP support assistant recently updated my Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver, but it updated it to a version released in 2014, a version that has a fatal memory leak when running open GL applications.

Thanks to this, I cannot play certain games anymore without them immediately crashing on me.

I tried updating my drivers again, but HP doesn't offer a newer version of the driver. I also tried going through Intel, but their driver utility won't install the drivers because HP provided me with custom drivers. I would have tried to rollback my drivers back to the point when they were working, but HP doesn't provide any previous versions on their support site.

My only other option is a system recovery, and I would like to avoid doing that.

I feel like this is very irresponsible of HP, if they want to package custom drivers with their computers, they need to either:

a) keep those drivers up to date with their generic counterparts

or

b) allow users to downgrade to previous versions of the drivers if a newer version breaks their computer.

I'm not sure what anyone can do to help me, but I thought I might as well post something about it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can get around the restriction imposed by the oem graphics package by manually installing the Intel Graphics driver as follows.

First, download the latest Intel HD4600 driver for your notebook from the link below and save it to your Downloads folder - you need the fourth option ( ie win64_153631.4414.zip ).  Note:  If you wish to install a different driver version from Intel, the method is still the same.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25978/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?produ...

When done, download and install the .64bit version of 7-Zip on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

When you've installed 7-Zip, open your Downloads folder, right click on the win64_153631.4414.zip package, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.

Cut this newly extracted folder and paste it on your Desktop so it's easy to find.

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Display adapters, right click the Intel 4600 device and select 'Update Driver Software'.

In the following window, select 'Browser my computer for driver software' and then select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

In the next window, click the 'Have Disk' button and then browse to the extracted Intel win64_153631.4414 folder you pasted on your Desktop.

Browse into the sub-folder Graphics, left click on the file igdlh64.INF to highlight it and then click Open.

Click on 'Ok' and then click 'Next' and wait for the driver to install.

When done, click 'Close' and then click 'Yes' to restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can get around the restriction imposed by the oem graphics package by manually installing the Intel Graphics driver as follows.

First, download the latest Intel HD4600 driver for your notebook from the link below and save it to your Downloads folder - you need the fourth option ( ie win64_153631.4414.zip ).  Note:  If you wish to install a different driver version from Intel, the method is still the same.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25978/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?produ...

When done, download and install the .64bit version of 7-Zip on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

When you've installed 7-Zip, open your Downloads folder, right click on the win64_153631.4414.zip package, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.

Cut this newly extracted folder and paste it on your Desktop so it's easy to find.

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Display adapters, right click the Intel 4600 device and select 'Update Driver Software'.

In the following window, select 'Browser my computer for driver software' and then select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

In the next window, click the 'Have Disk' button and then browse to the extracted Intel win64_153631.4414 folder you pasted on your Desktop.

Browse into the sub-folder Graphics, left click on the file igdlh64.INF to highlight it and then click Open.

Click on 'Ok' and then click 'Next' and wait for the driver to install.

When done, click 'Close' and then click 'Yes' to restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It worked beautifully, thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

After browsing into the sub-folder Graphics, and left clicking on the file igdlh64.INF  I get a message saying that the folder specified does not contain a compatible driver for my device

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.