Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

When the power on button is pressed the laptop starts to power up. A message " press esc key to enter startup menu" flickers briefly on the screen but the it goes blank and stays blank. The laptop continues through its power up sequence and the screen flashes briefly from time to time showing what appears to be screens from the startup sequence but nothing stays on the screen long enough to see what is being displayed. The screen then stays blank.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @NickRDavis, 

While reading your post, I gathered that you are seeing a Black screen on your HP Pavilion G6 Notebook PC. 

Before I provide troubleshooting documentation, I would like to take a minute to welcome you to the HP Support Community, where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help from others! To show your appreciation, please click the 'Thumbs up' button on this post. Smiley Happy

Please remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues. Then please try and connect an external Monitor or TV to your Notebook to see if the screen displays properly there. 

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV? Please try this step first to see if the display on the external Monitor or TV is black also. 

Have you tried to start in Safe Mode?

Have you done a BIOS Upgrade?

Have you tried Testing for hardware failures?

Do you have the Notebook ventilated? 

What do you sit your Notebook on when you are using it?

Have you done any updates using Windows Updates or the HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to clean out all of the vents in the Notebook?

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

Did you receive any error messages?

Do you have any beep codes or blinking LED lights

Have you done a BIOS reset?

There is a document that has the hard reset steps, connecting to an external monitor steps, BIOS reset steps and Reseating the Memory Module steps in it. The document is called Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot. Here is a document for you called Computer Does Not Start (Windows 7)

Here are some more documents for you that may help:

If you manage to get the Notebook to come back on using the troubleshooting links in the questions above, please try a Hardware Test. HP provides diagnostic software that you can use to test hardware components on your computer; to rule out or confirm hardware failures when something is wrong. 

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as you have. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help. When you repost, please provide me with the detailed results from the troubleshooting above and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

Hope this helps! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @NickRDavis, 

While reading your post, I gathered that you are seeing a Black screen on your HP Pavilion G6 Notebook PC. 

Before I provide troubleshooting documentation, I would like to take a minute to welcome you to the HP Support Community, where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help from others! To show your appreciation, please click the 'Thumbs up' button on this post. Smiley Happy

Please remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues. Then please try and connect an external Monitor or TV to your Notebook to see if the screen displays properly there. 

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV? Please try this step first to see if the display on the external Monitor or TV is black also. 

Have you tried to start in Safe Mode?

Have you done a BIOS Upgrade?

Have you tried Testing for hardware failures?

Do you have the Notebook ventilated? 

What do you sit your Notebook on when you are using it?

Have you done any updates using Windows Updates or the HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to clean out all of the vents in the Notebook?

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

Did you receive any error messages?

Do you have any beep codes or blinking LED lights

Have you done a BIOS reset?

There is a document that has the hard reset steps, connecting to an external monitor steps, BIOS reset steps and Reseating the Memory Module steps in it. The document is called Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot. Here is a document for you called Computer Does Not Start (Windows 7)

Here are some more documents for you that may help:

If you manage to get the Notebook to come back on using the troubleshooting links in the questions above, please try a Hardware Test. HP provides diagnostic software that you can use to test hardware components on your computer; to rule out or confirm hardware failures when something is wrong. 

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as you have. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help. When you repost, please provide me with the detailed results from the troubleshooting above and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

Hope this helps! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

This was resolved by reseating the memory chip. Many thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I am always happy to help! I am very glad that the troubleshooting was able to aid you in a resolution! Thank you for letting me know :). 

Have a great day!  

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.