Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a ZBook 15 that was recently reimaged from Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10 (64bit). BIOS is latest available. Chipset is latest available. Display, networking, all other drivers are latest available. Two monitors are connected via Display Port cables. One monitor is connected via VGA/DVI (I say that because I have tried both VGA and DVI).

Here's what we see: if the machine is booted while on a docking station, the NVIDIA graphics loads and the Intel HD graphics crashes (if you look in Device Manager, it says it was stopped because problems were detected). If you attempt to disable and re-enable that Intel Graphics, the screens flash for a second then the VGA/DVI connected screen goes black again. 

If you undock at this point, the laptop screen does not work, either. It will remain black until you reboot the machine.

Now, if you boot the machine OFF THE DOCK, the Intel graphics load just fine. The laptop screen shows up just fine. If you dock the machine at this point, ALL MONITORS are detected and work as expected.

This appears to be a problem with conflicting resource consumption when the machine is starting on the dock, as in the Intel and NVIDIA are fighting for the same resource and NVIDIA wins. 

Can't you just boot your machine off the dock and then dock it? -Sure, that doesn't mean the problem should be ignored. And frankly, it is a bad experience for my end users.

Did this problem happen in Windows 7? -No, this was not an issue in Windows 7 (64bit). It is definitely an issue in Windows 10 (64bit).

So what is affected? -Any monitor that runs off that Intel driver is affected. Best I can tell, with the two monitors being Display Port running off the NVIDIA, the DVI, VGA and onboard display are affected.

Drivers? -I have tried the latest available from HP's website, I tried the Intel tool that is supposed to identify Intel hardware and then recommend updates, but it woudn't either detect or suggest anything for the Intel Graphics. I deleted the Intel driver and tried Microsoft's generic, but that didn't have any effect.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Has anyone found a fix for this?

***EDIT***

The main focus of my original post was for the ZBook with 3 periphal displays. HOWEVER, this exact issue has plagued every ProBook, EliteBook and ZBook we have reimaged from Win 7 to Win 10. We have simply gotten around the issue by swapping the VGA display to Display Port, since most users only have a dual-monitor setup, and the digital connections are defaulting to the NVIDIA card. 

Just clarifying this is more widespread than just the one ZBook with 3 displays.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just experienced exactly the same issue with 2 Xbook 15's.

Upgraded to windows 10 and the dual screens are gone.

The only workaround indeed is to stat the zbook, and dock the laptop as it is still opened.

Monitor's are connected by 1 * VGA and 1 * Display port (converter to VGA).

If somebody has new info on how to solve this, my customer would be very thrilled.

Thanks.

Francois

HP Recommended

Deployed more machines that had to be upgraded from Win7 to Win10. Problem still persists across a variety of models:

• ZBook
  • EliteBook
  • ProBook

Validated, again, this morning that starting the laptop OFF the dock allows the Intel driver to load successfully. Once loaded, it can be docked and all monitors work.

If booted while on the dock, the Intel driver crashes and the device is stopped and cannot be recovered until a system reboot.

Any suggestions, anyone? Is there a way to delay the NVIDIA from starting so Intel can grab the resources it needs first? This is really frustrating my users. Got about 30 affected machines so far. Thankfully, the only ones being upgraded are IT personnel, but the other department/agency users are coming up quickly, and that number will exponentially increase (2,000+ machines).

HP Recommended

Ok, small update:

Regarding setups using an UltraSlim docking station - I figured out that I wasn't doing the Firmware update on the dock correctly. The utility (sp71104 -  HP UltraSlim Docking Station DisplayPort (DP) Hub Firmware) was returning exit code '0', which means success, but it wasn't actually applying the update. 

In order to update the firmware on the docking station, you will need to disconnect ALL monitors except for one which must be connected to the Display Port on the dock.

Doing this firmware update on the dock in conjunction with the latest BIOS for the device made it so the device could boot on the dock and bring up all monitors without the Intel adapter crashing.

Hopefully that also works for those of you with UltraSlim docks; still working on the older brick docks.

HP Recommended

CrashSimmons did you manage to solve this issue on the Zbook15 G2 with the "brick" dock?

we are seing this kind of similiar issue on our G2 models, where HD grapihcs 4600 stops with error 43 when undocking.

we tried with the latest Intel driver Version: 15.40.34.4624 (Latest) Date: 3/30/2017 but without any luck!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Specifically, thix fix worked for me with the Zbook 15 G2, but it may work for other affected HP models as well that utilize a graphics card in addition to the integrated Intel display. I had a user with similar issues where the Intel card would show a code 43 error while booting from the (230W brick) dock. Oddly enough, I noticed that if you started the laptop with the lid opened the intel card loaded just fine, but the user did not like the idea of having to leave the laptop open on boot. Even if you closed it afterwards and docked/re-docked once the system was already on and the Intel device drivers loaded successfully you'd get the video on both monitors, trick was just booting with the lid open. 

The Fix:

There is a setting in the BIOS for hybrid graphics mode under advanced. Click on device configurations and scroll down to Hybrid Graphics and change it to disable. This will actually completely disabled the Intel HD4600 card and force the system to rely solely on the Nvidia card, which should be more than capable of handling 2 monitors, and can support 2 monitors with the laptop screen open (acting as 3rd screen) if the user wants to do that. Not sure if it will work well on triple monitor but might be worth a shot. Please note you may need to adjust your resolution manually after making this fix, in my case I just needed to go to display properties and change back to 1920x1080. 

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Has anyone been able to get 3 monitors working when booting the laptop with the lid closed? I had this issue with Win8 and I'm still having it with Win10. 

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue. We just upgraded to Windows 10 at work. In Windows 7 it worked fine.

Here @work I have the laptop always docked (brick dock) and at the end of the day I bring it to sleep. When @home I wakeup the system my screen stays blank. I see the same issue in the device manager.

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem I have with the Z 15. Just upgraded from win 7 to win 10 Enterprise. No 3rd display avliable when docked. Device manager shows Intel HD 4600 display had errors and has been stopped.

Booting the laptop while off the dock and then docking does resolve the issue.

Upgraded the driver to ver 20.19.15.4835, manually / have disk method with no change.

Any update on this?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue on Zbook 15 G2.  On the docking station , i get the intel hd 4600 disabled by windows with error 43.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.