Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-j101sa
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, I packed up my laptop to travel about a month ago and when I returned I tried to play a game on my laptop and the game display started breaking / lagging . I normally used to play this game and the display was perfect but since I returned from my trip, whenever I start the game it starts lagging. My system has NVIDIA 

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04102935 . I don't know if there is something wrong with the graphic card. When I watch movies, it streams perfectly but as soon as I start playing a game then it starts breaking up. Is there any test I can do to see if there's something wrong with the display driver / graphic card? do I have to update my NVIDIA graphic driver? I really need some help here. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @stanstan1, 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I would be more than happy to help you. I understand that your HP ENVY 17-j101sa Notebook PC is lagging when you are trying to play a game.

If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question(s),  please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

You had mentioned the display is breaking. Could you please elaborate for me on what you mean by breaking?

As silly as it sounds, sometimes dust in the vents of the Notebook can cause issues like this. Could you please clean out the vents and see if that helps?

Have you tried to play the game in Safe Mode?

Does it happen there?

Have you tried to uninstall the graphics driver in the device manager?

Have you tried to update the graphics driver in the device manager?

Have you done all of your Windows Updates?

Have you tried doing updates using the HP Support Assistant?

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

Have you tried to do a System Restore back to when it was working fine?

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

I have a document for you called Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 😎 and other troubleshooting steps to try. I know that it is not happening other than while playing games, but the steps should still help just the same. 

You could also try to use the Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer document. Use the information in this document to control when applications run, adjust how your computer uses memory resources, and reduce heat inside your computer. This could help you troubleshoot the Slow Performance issues you are experiencing. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with any information you think may help in addition to the answers to the questions above. 

If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

I am glad that you joined in! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Can anyone help with this?

HP Recommended

Hey @stanstan1, 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I would be more than happy to help you. I understand that your HP ENVY 17-j101sa Notebook PC is lagging when you are trying to play a game.

If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question(s),  please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

You had mentioned the display is breaking. Could you please elaborate for me on what you mean by breaking?

As silly as it sounds, sometimes dust in the vents of the Notebook can cause issues like this. Could you please clean out the vents and see if that helps?

Have you tried to play the game in Safe Mode?

Does it happen there?

Have you tried to uninstall the graphics driver in the device manager?

Have you tried to update the graphics driver in the device manager?

Have you done all of your Windows Updates?

Have you tried doing updates using the HP Support Assistant?

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

Have you tried to do a System Restore back to when it was working fine?

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

I have a document for you called Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 😎 and other troubleshooting steps to try. I know that it is not happening other than while playing games, but the steps should still help just the same. 

You could also try to use the Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer document. Use the information in this document to control when applications run, adjust how your computer uses memory resources, and reduce heat inside your computer. This could help you troubleshoot the Slow Performance issues you are experiencing. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with any information you think may help in addition to the answers to the questions above. 

If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

I am glad that you joined in! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hello, Thanks for your suggestions. I would try them out later on today, When I say breaking. when the game display starts lagging, the audio sounds distorted, that's why I said it was "breaking" 🙂 , anyway I would try cleaning the vents and then I would test it again. In the meantime, HP support assistant showed that my NVIDIA GeForce GT750M had the adapater version 9.18.13.2680 (18/08/2013), do you think I need to update my adapter version?  I also noticed you suggested that I uninstall my graphics driver? I have Intel HD graphics and I have NVIDIA, Which of them do I uninstall and how do I reinstall it after uninstalling? I hope you reply soon. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey!

Thank you for getting back to me! That information was very helpful! 

I looked at the HP ENVY 17-j101sa Notebook PC Software and Drivers Page and compared the versions. It looks like you are up to date currently. 

When I suggested uninstalling the graphics driver, I would suggest uninstalling both and then restarting your Notebook twice. It should auto populate the drivers for you. Then check to see if the issue is persisting. If it is not, you are good to go, if it is, then please do Windows and HP Support Assistant Updates and see if it brings in any more updates. 

You had mentioned that the audio sounds distorted when the Notebook display in your game starts to lag. 

Does the lagging happen at all any other time? 

If you were to boot into Safe Mode and play your game there, does the distorted sound and lagging happen still?

Please keep me in the loop when it comes to the rest of the troubleshooting steps provided in my last post also 🙂

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I took the laptop apart, cleaned it and now it works well...thanks a lot for the advise.

HP Recommended

Hey! 

No problem at all! I am glad that cleaning out the Notebook solved the problem. Please mark the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution so that others can find a solution also. If you would like to say thanks, please use the thumbs up button below! 

Take care 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.