Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 4060us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I may be beating a dead horse here, as I've done quite a bit of research on this issue, but I thought I'd try one more time on HP's forums.

I have a perfectly good Pavilion dv7 4060us that I use to carry my QuickBooks and inventory files with me to a customer's site or when I'm away from the office. I bought it in 2010-2011 because of its performance and price point. The fact that it's an entertainment laptop is not really the issue. By that I mean that I have played a DVD or two on it but that's not its primary mission. 

Having said all of that, I, as a Microsoft Insider (aren't we all?) I tested Win 10 since last October. I have five other computers in my business that updated to Win 10 just fine. Desktops.

But, and I knew better, I let my dv7 update to Win 10 Home (had Win 7 Home) updated graphics drivers under Win 10 from HP, even tho' the revision date seemed to be August 5 (or 😎 2015, don't seem to work. The laptop uses Microsoft's generic LCD drivers. Not the end of the world, but I wonder if anyone's found a way to sort this display issue out. I see that HP wil not offer support for this combination dual-mode AMD card (5650/4250 HD). I have used Compatibility Mode in the past with some success. Anyway, this post has been long enough...I can roll it back to Win 7 Home, but I really don't care about the entertainment aspect of this computer.

Any thoughts, or should I just shut up and go away?

Many thanks, DD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I appreciate your interest in my situation, thank you. I have done all of that, including finding a supposedly compatible driver for this hardware on the AMD site. When I looked at AMD's site earlier this month/last month, they stated that they would not be supporting that hardware under Win 10 (the same thing HP said, actually, but I'm stubborn). Imagine my surprise when I found that the site would let me download a driver today for the HD 5650/4200 under Win 10 64-bit. But, it doesn't install properly, either and gives me the same dialog box: No AMC graphics driver is currently installed or it is not functioning properly.

Perhaps I am not as fluent in AMD/ATI products and updating as I am with nVidia graphics, which I use in my other machines with no issues.

At any rate, I appreciate everyone's help, but I have spent way too much time on this issue; I'm done. I can use the 4060 as it is. As a former systems engineer, I felt certain I could solve this but apparently not. Anyway, no worries and thanks!

Regards,

DD

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ddunk1946,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion dv7-4060us Notebook and issues with Updating to Windows 10. Graphic drivers are not created for Windows 10. You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Here is a document that shows how to update drivers that are not working correctly with Windows 10.

You can try in the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I appreciate your interest in my situation, thank you. I have done all of that, including finding a supposedly compatible driver for this hardware on the AMD site. When I looked at AMD's site earlier this month/last month, they stated that they would not be supporting that hardware under Win 10 (the same thing HP said, actually, but I'm stubborn). Imagine my surprise when I found that the site would let me download a driver today for the HD 5650/4200 under Win 10 64-bit. But, it doesn't install properly, either and gives me the same dialog box: No AMC graphics driver is currently installed or it is not functioning properly.

Perhaps I am not as fluent in AMD/ATI products and updating as I am with nVidia graphics, which I use in my other machines with no issues.

At any rate, I appreciate everyone's help, but I have spent way too much time on this issue; I'm done. I can use the 4060 as it is. As a former systems engineer, I felt certain I could solve this but apparently not. Anyway, no worries and thanks!

Regards,

DD

HP Recommended

I'm still patiently waiting for someone to come up with a solution too... I'm way beyond rolling back now

HP Recommended

Same here; I'm way beyond rolling back.

I think this is a dead issue, at least for me. I do periodically receive a message that 'A new driver has been released'. When I first saw that, I thought that perhaps a solution had been found. (I found a beta driver on the AMD site last year that installed and ran better than any other AMD driver, but it still didn't work) But, when trying to install the update, I still get the 'no suitable graphics hardware exists' or 'no AMD driver has been found'. (or something similar; it's been a while since I saw that dialog box).

I guess that I'm a little surprised. Since this laptop has two graphics cards/modes (4250 and 5650) but, apparently, the 4250 is the default which both AMD and HP have stated over and over that they will not support under Win 10. 

I may go back and again try the work-around mentioned earlier in this post. I will certainly report back either way.

Thanks for everyone's interest!

DD

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and have looked all over creation to find a driver. Unfortunately, AMD does not write drivers for this particular setup anymore and all I've seen from this site is use windows update, but windows update doesn't seem to have a driver that works with this dual video setup correctly.

Does anyone from HP have any suggestions on getting this dual video to work again?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.