Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a suitable solution:

• simple exe file
  • no registry changes
  • no installation
  • disables all (except DVD)
  • you can still use them with AltGr + shorcut button 

http://dizyart.com/disabling-action-keys-on-hp-g62.html

Please give feedback. 

HP Recommended

Hi this may sound like a really dumb solution but it worked for me.  I really didn't want to go mucking around in the registry or anything like that so basically, I just took a few small pieces of paper. Folded them over a couple of times and slotted them under each quick launch key. that I wanted to disable. In my case it was just the PRINT and CALCULATOR buttons that I kept pressing by accident. \\\\\

Make sure to leve just a tiny bit of the paper sticking out incase you want to remove it in the future. As I said, it's a very primitive fix but it does prevent you from launching your laptop into outer space in frustration. 

HP Recommended

Hey i have a problem with my HP G62 Notebook i want to play games that needs to use the F keys (F1,F2) and on these keys it have quick launch like brightness, help (?) and others when i push these buttons it bounce me out of the game . Can you tell me how to stop this and lock them? plz i need an anser

thanks 

HP Recommended

@Sycro wrote:

Hey i have a problem with my HP G62 Notebook i want to play games that needs to use the F keys (F1,F2) and on these keys it have quick launch like brightness, help (?) and others when i push these buttons it bounce me out of the game . Can you tell me how to stop this and lock them? plz i need an anser

thanks 

Disable the Fn key in the bios on a G62

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

HP Recommended

I found this on another page and it worked for me!

Most are stored in the registry

If you look in the registry for

CHOOSE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Then go through all the drop downs to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey

you will find numbered keys under "appkey"

these are where some of your quicklaunch keys are. (Internet and calc keys should be 7 and 18 respectively.

The mediasmart key is in a different location

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePc\HotStartButtons\2

you can either change what program launches with those keys or delete the default program associated with each specific key to render it inoperable, the email key cannot be disabled as far as I know. I would back up those registry keys before making any changes.

Source of Information

There is also software to remap the HP quicklaunch keys, not sure how well it works on the G62

HP Recommended

@rhodance wrote:

DLow solution mostly works. i have power dvd 9 on my computer, and i had to disable it by changing the name of the program from

PowerDVD9

to

PowerDVD9_original

that appently is enough tostop the dvd key from working.

after doing that, the only things that still works for me at the moment is the print key, which is kind of useful and doesnt work in my video games.

had to register just to say i love you. seriously, every fix i've found fixed every key except that one, and it was the one i found most annoying.  did a search today to see if anything new had come out and stumbled on your old post. this worked when no other suggested fixes (like changing registry keys) did.  thank you!

HP Recommended

I found a means to disable all the launch keys. There is an entry in the registry for

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\AppKey"

The sub-entries on this one contain the key bindings for the launch keys. By clearing the Association and Shell/ShellEx entries prevented the events from triggering upon key press.

HP Recommended

With my G56 upgrade to windows 10, and out of warranty I took the brute force method, I levered off the Print and Calculator keys, the most annoying ones, which seems to be enough, occasionally I touch one of the 'nipples' but not frequently enough to trim them down.

I hope HP will change the policy for 2016, as I am considering a new laptop of some power.

* These keys should NOT be right next to the CTRL and SHIFT keys at all to reduce typing errors

* These keys need to be configurable

* Preferably (going back to the 80's) with either a clear sleeve top or covered space next to the key to allow users to label the key as needed

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.