Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've got another model, but still have the super-annoying keys on the left. I disabled most of them with a simple registry edit. (the print button seems to just send CTRL+P, so that's at least less invasive if I accidentally hit it in a game)

Look in the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey

There should be numbered subkeys under this, corresponding to the different buttons. In each of these subkeys, there will be either Association or ShellExecute values. If these values are not exactly named, they won't work, so what I did what I renamed the values to no.Association or no.ShellExecute - right-click on the values and hit rename. (you can use any name change, as long as the values are not called Association or ShellExecute.)

HP Recommended

So here is story so far - the good 🙂 - and the bad 😞

email - fixed - reg edit change (see  kaligraphic)

dvd - fixed - scheduler task disabled (see rabar10)

web - NO FIX AS YET

print - NO FIX AS YET 

calculator - fixed - reg edit change (see  kaligraphic)

WHAT NOW...?

This is how I fixed it - not proud - not even too clever ...

I cut out a long thin strip of card with a hockey stick end on it, and slipped it under the keyboard at the far left with the hockey stick ending under the calculator button to stop the card slipping up under the ESC key.

The card is about 1.5mm thick and is about 4mm wide  and I used a very thin peice of flat plastic to help me shoe horn it gently under the edge.

I'm not suggesting you do this (so don't blame me if you try this yourself) - I'm just saying that this finally took me back to my 'happy place' .

IF I remeber - I'll try and drop back in the forum in about a week and let you know if it is still holding.

Simon in his happy place

====== UPDATE 8 HOURS LATER ======

So ignore the fix for the DVD as it also disables the brightness controls  😞

In fact I have undone all the changes and stuck with the lowtech cardboard solution

- many things I am happy doing on a compter - but fiddling around in the registry without

any clear directive from HP is not one of them!!!!

My final word is this ....

HP have lost there way - to build a beautiful piece of hardware and then hobble it with the

amount of pointless software they had installed and these dodgey buttonswith very little value.

Next time when your customers say they want to be able to quickly access certain tools - remeber

that they do not want this at the expense of usability of the rest of the machine.

Until HP can stop trying to shoot themselves in the foot with this approach they have lost my

vote for my next purchase.

Simon

HP Recommended

I found a registry hack

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/How-to-disable-Quick-Launch-keys-on-G62/...

How to disable Quick Launch keys on G62?

I've got another model, but still have the super-annoying keys on the left. I disabled most of them with a simple registry edit. (the print button seems to just send CTRL+P, so that's at least less invasive if I accidentally hit it in a game)

There should be numbered subkeys under this, corresponding to the different buttons. In each of these subkeys, there will be either Association or ShellExecute values. If these values are not exactly named, they won't work, so what I did what I renamed the values to no.Association or no.ShellExecute - right-click on the values and hit rename. (you can use any name change, as long as the values are not called Association or ShellExecute.)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I did this

Renamed AppKey to AppKeyx

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKeyx

HP Recommended

I found a registry hack

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/How-to-disable-Quick-Launch-keys-on-G62/...

How to disable Quick Launch keys on G62?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I did this

Renamed AppKey to AppKeyx

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKeyx

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have devised a small program that takes care of remapping the PowerDVD8.exe button into something more useful (in my case - tab)

Please do not mind this being a bit ugly 😉

//// CODE STARTS HERE

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "SendSignal.h"
INPUT key;
WORD KEY_TO_SEND = 15;
int APIENTRY _tWinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,
                     HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
                     LPTSTR    lpCmdLine,
                     int       nCmdShow)
{

ZeroMemory(&key, sizeof(INPUT));
 key.type = INPUT_KEYBOARD;
 key.ki.wScan = KEY_TO_SEND;
 key.ki.dwFlags = KEYEVENTF_SCANCODE;

SendInput(1, &key, sizeof(INPUT));
 return 0;
}

/// CODE ENDS HERE

Next you have to place it somewhere (C:/Windows in my case), look for "MobilePC\HotStartButtons\2 " in the registry and replace the epic: "C:/ ... /PowerDVD8.exe" with the little device you have just compiled.

Reboot the laptop - and voila. 

When media button pressed - tab is being sent to the keyboard queue.

Works for me - might work for someone else 🙂

best regards

Michał Dzirba

HP Recommended

They are pretty much the same as the Keys on the HP Envy. Workaroundsusing Autohotkey posted here in the comments here should work:

http://simonsarris.com/blog/24-envy-keyboard

HP Recommended

Lookie what I found

http://www.quickplay.hostzi.com/

"This program allows you to assign the QuickPlay media keys on your HP laptop to any application of your choice using a simple graphical interface"

readme for Stable V1.3

QuickPlay Remapper - README
----------------------------
Version 1.3
7 September 2009
Author: Th3_uN1Qu3
I. What is this software?
--------------------------
This software allows the remapping of the QuickPlay buttons on your HP notebook to the programs of your choice, without needing QuickPlay installed. 
Since v1.3 it also has the function of speeding up the volume controls (up to 6 times) if you feel they change level too slow. This function is called a "hack" because all it does is simply send Windows multiple volume keypress events on a single touch of the volume bar. Windows Vista and Windows 7's default setting for a single press of the volume key is to change level by 2%, in XP this used to be 5%. The default setting of this program sends 3 keypresses on every touch, thus changes volume in 6% increments. I have found 6% to be the best balance between speed and usability (you wouldn't want a volume control that flicks from mute to max instantly), but some may like it a bit faster, so i left the speed boost configurable.
II. Why use this software?
---------------------------
You may find this software useful for the following reasons
- You do not like QuickPlay and want the QP buttons to do something else
- You have uninstalled QuickPlay and found that the QP buttons are useless now
- Your laptop changes volume too slowly, requiring multiple swipes of the volume bar
III. How to use this software? What requirements does it have?
---------------------------------------------------------------
The requirement is a HP notebook with QuickPlay buttons, obviously. Confirmed working on DV5 series, DV7 series, DV9000 series, Compaq CQ40 series, nx9000 series. It should run on Windows XP/Vista/7. It has no extra software requirements.
Usage is extremely simple. Extract the archive to a folder of your choice. Open the QPRemapper program and select an application using the Browse button. This application will now be assigned to the specified QuickPlay key.
Check "Apply at startup" if you want your settings re-applied each time the computer starts. You can now close the program, the mapping will be handled automatically in the background.
If you wish to restore the default mapping, simply uncheck the corresponding box in QPRemapper.
Note: The QuickPlay key is labeled as the "Presentation" key on nx9000 series and older.
IV. But wasn't there a way to...
---------------------------------
There is another way to remap the QuickPlay button but it requires QuickPlay installed, which pretty much defeats its purpose. Also it involves editing the registry which can be potentially dangerous for beginners. Using my software does not involve editing the registry, nor does it edit the registry itself. Everything is controlled by a simple graphical user interface (GUI).
V. Will this software void my warranty/damage my computer/decrease battery life?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. It is designed with minimal resource usage in mind, it will not alter system files and it will not write to the registry. It simply intercepts the QuickPlay keys and assigns them to a program of your choice. However keep in mind that it is distributed "as-is" and any damage that this program might cause will not be covered by the author nor by HP.
VI. How can I help you develop this software?
----------------------------------------------
You can help me by reporting any issues at the contact email address at the beginning of this document. You may contact me if the keys on your laptop aren't fully supported. You may also contact me if you have a feature request, but keep in mind that this software has a very specific purpose and all the features it needs are implemented already.
I might think of supporting other brands of laptops if i receive enough requests.
VII. How to remove this software
---------------------------------
Open QPRemapper and uncheck "Apply at startup". Restart your computer, then delete the files mentioned in "Software components" below. Alternatively, you can remove it without restarting the computer. Open the Windows Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, click on QPKeys.exe, click End Process, Yes. Then delete the files.
VIII. Software components
--------------------------
QPRemapper.exe - Main program and graphical interface (GUI). It allows remapping of the QuickPlay buttons, handles the buttons until it is closed, and saves the configuration.
QPKeys.exe - Button handler. Basically main program minus the GUI, with a number of speed optimizations (unlike the GUI which has to update Remap.ini every time a modification is made, QPKeys never accesses the hard drive after it is loaded). It is loaded when the GUI exits, or at computer startup if the "Apply at startup" option is checked in the GUI.
QPR.ico - Program icon. Used to make the startup entry prettier. 🙂
Remap.ini - Configuration file. All options are saved here by QPRemapper and read upon program reload. QPKeys also reads this file when it is loaded. If this file does not exist, it will be automatically created by QPRemapper.
IX. What language is this software written in? Can you give me the source code?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This software is written in the AutoHotkey scripting language. I do not plan to give away the source code yet. If I will stop working on this program, I will release the source under the GNU GPL v3 license.
X. Licensing
-------------
This software is FREEWARE. You may use it freely on any number of computers and you may distribute free copies of it provided all files mentioned in "Software Components" (except the configuration file) are not altered or missing. You may not dissasemble, decompile, or otherwise reverse engineer the software. You may not sell the software. The source code is the intellectual property of the author (Th3_uN1Qu3). AutoHotkey is ©2003-2009 Chris Mallett, portions ©AutoIt Team.

HP Recommended

I found out that you can hack the registry to disable or change the apps launched. Here's the reg location showing the settings. Deleting one of these keys will disable it.

( Sorry! I see someone beat me to this one )

Follow me in Google Buzz - Windows Freeware & Tips
http://www.google.com/profiles/clif.notes
HP Recommended

I am glad I'm not the only one who realizes how inconvenient these hot keys are. I am so disappointed with my G62, my game play is great on this laptop, except for the fact that I am barely able to play due to the hotkeys rerouting me to the calculator or dvd player everytime I'm off on my key stroke.

Is there a way to change the F1-F12 keys so they are the standard keys (refresh, etc...) again? I find that even in my full screen game mode I am not able to bind those keys for the game.

Also, this may be a no brainer fix, but does anyone know how to fix the mouse curser from disappearing off the right side of the screen?

HP Recommended

Did you try to remove the HP quick launch? Any success? Any cons in doing that?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.