Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, here's a slight twist on this problem. My wife's dv6 is getting the dreaded igdpmd64.sys BSOD.

I looked for the KB2670838 update but all it shows is a failed installation. It's not listed in the installed updates or in the available updates. How do you uninstall something that isn't there?

The product number is QJ918AV#ABA and it's running Win 7 Home Premium x64.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello LostinNC

I am sorry you are experiencing the BSOD issue as well. Since you do not have the update yet are still getting the error I would try the following steps.

Step 1. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories

Step 2. Right-click on the Command Prompt

Step 3. Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt (the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up)

Step 4. At the Command prompt, type CHKDSK C: /R and hit Enter

Step 5.When you are told the drive is locked and CHKDSK will run at next boot hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot

***NOTE: The CHKDSK will take a while (could be hours) so be patient

When the CHKDSK is complete and your system restarts follow the rest of the steps.

Step 6. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories

Step 7. Right-click on the Command Prompt entry

Step 8. Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt (the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up)

Step 9. At the Command prompt, type SFC /SCANNOW and hit Enter

If the problem still persists try doing a Windows System Restore back to a point before you started getting the BSOD errors. You can do this by following the HP Support document titled Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7).

I hope this helps resolve your BSOD errors and gets you back up and running. Thank you for posting you issue on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended
Sadly, no it didn't but thanks for trying. It doesn't seem to be anything that is HP's fault. It appears to be somehow linked to Norton 360. As long as we leave that off the machine, it works fine.
HP Recommended

Well, I am pleased to find this thread while I am having BSODs each time most of the time I was touching the IE's taskbar icon (Aero maybe?) as wel as beeing unable to play video in IE11.

At first I was looking for a fix in IE, then I was thinking about spywares and corruptions. Did a small clean up.

Then trying to update / uninstall the ADM drivers I was giving blue screens or freezing as well most of the time.

Deleted that the Windows Update KB2670838 and the AMD installatioon went fine. Also able to play videos in IE 9, 10 and 11.

Thanks for you time everyone.

Hellrik

Model: DV6-6b75ca

CPU: Intel i3-2330M

GPU: Radeon HD6490M

HP Recommended

Hi i have same falt just came after i updated here, within last 7-14 dats... can not find the update u talk abut callaed 2670838... i have vista...

thnx

HP Recommended

Hi again,

just wanted to let you know we seem to have found a workable solution to this problem. My wife's dv6t was getting the igdpmd64.sys BSOD but nothing seemed to help. It didn't even have the KB2670838 update other people were uninstalling to fix their problem and the CHKDSK/SCANNOW didn't help either.

I finally resorted to performing the full factory reload.  It worked fine for a couple of days as it took wave after wave of Windows updates. That is , until it installed IE 11, at which point the BSOD resumed. 

I recalled other posters mentioning that after uninstalling KB2670838, their system worked fine but they had to fall back from IE 11 to an earlier version. Hmmmm...  IE 11 in both cases. Long-dormant gears started turning and a light bulb appeared over my head, barely visible through the thick clouds of smoke emerging from my brain housing. 

I did another factory refresh and stopped the automatic Windows updates prior to it receiving IE 11. It's been purring like a kitten ever since. She's also using Firefox as her default browser now.

I have IE11 on my HP Pavillion desktop and it works fine. No clue why it would cause a problem for the dv6t.

HP Recommended

Having the same issue after W7 recovery and downloading 166 updates.  Where can I find the procedure for removing the Platform Update??

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Thanks for the pointers.  I've never had to remove an update before.  However, after following this stream, I was able to remove KB2670838 and my bsod's stopped completely.  Now I can get back to rebuilding my system after a system recovery.

HP Recommended

TO DUNIDAR:

Your solution to remove the Microsoft update KB2670838 seems to have fixed the problem. YAY!!!!!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, everyone else, too.

I sweated for a week doing the same kinds of things that other forum members have done, like cleaning my disk space and re-downloading the program that I thought was the culprit.

Then I thought of searching the web and came to the HP Forum.

Thanks to you and all the other who posted about this problem.  I really appreciate the exact steps to uninstall the KB2670838 update.  I would never have been able to solve this problem on my own!!!!

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, o/s = Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.  I dreaded the prospect that it was trashed.

The problem started after installing a Norton Internet Security update; I thought that was the culprit.

Then oticed that my system crashed randomly (using Explore!), but the Norton manager was ALWAYS crashing and crashing while doing a scan. I had to restart in safe mode to do anything without crashing and uninstalled Norton.

Realized that MS updates had also recently been installed.

Took me a while to understand that the problem was not Norton, but a system program.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.