Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Hp compaq nx6320. Can I replace its' 80GB hard drive with 500GB one? :Crying:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Reviewing the hardware, I don't see any reason why it would be limited to 120GB.  The limitation on the hardware would be restricted by BIOS and BIOS from that era supported much larger than 120GB.  I would be extremely surprised if a 500GB HDD did not work in that system.  If it came with a FAT32 based OS, such as Windows ME, then it would be an issue.

Since ti is a commercial unit, you may want to try the enterprise boards to reach out to other users of that unit for first hand experience.  A link was provided earlier in the thread.  I found this thread in the enterprise boards asking the same question.  The user received an answer that it should support up to 1TB and they did not return stating that a larger HDD did not work for them.  Of course, not returning doesn't mean it was flawless for them.  It is very likely that it did work for them.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If the system came preinstalled with Windows XP or newer, a 500GB HDD should be fine.  I would not recommend going over 1TB due to the limitations of BIOS from the time frame the unit was introduced to the market.  Page 6 of this guide lists up to 100GB, but that is only because those were the options at the time the unit was introduced to the market.  

If you want to reach out to other users of the system to get direct feedback, you may want to try the business forums found below.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-EliteBook/bd-p/bsc-274#.UglPcm1Gbcw

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thank u 4 the reply.. BTW I asked it from HP email support. They said that "Hp compaq nx6320" can only upgradable upto 120 GB of hard drive... ????

HP Recommended

Reviewing the hardware, I don't see any reason why it would be limited to 120GB.  The limitation on the hardware would be restricted by BIOS and BIOS from that era supported much larger than 120GB.  I would be extremely surprised if a 500GB HDD did not work in that system.  If it came with a FAT32 based OS, such as Windows ME, then it would be an issue.

Since ti is a commercial unit, you may want to try the enterprise boards to reach out to other users of that unit for first hand experience.  A link was provided earlier in the thread.  I found this thread in the enterprise boards asking the same question.  The user received an answer that it should support up to 1TB and they did not return stating that a larger HDD did not work for them.  Of course, not returning doesn't mean it was flawless for them.  It is very likely that it did work for them.

Signature
HP Recommended

hello! Thank u very much 4 the reply...  🙂

HP Recommended

You are most welcome.

Thanks for updating the community.  🙂

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.