Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Does anybody managed to fix that issue?!

I've got the user "protect tool users", but I lost the "BIOS Administrator" password.

I don't find any solution to reset it, or deactivate the password at startup.

HP gave me a solution, but unacceptable : replace the motherboard :HalfEyes: crazy solution!

If anyone find how to reset that, please post it...

HP Recommended

I have found the way to clear out my bios administator password on this HP Elitebook 2530p notebook.

Confirm tested 100% works!

1.) Download & Install - HP System Software Manager VERSION: 2.10 Rev. A

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42536.exe

2.) Windows 7 > Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (Right click & Run as administrator)

a. Type cd\

b. Type cd\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SSM 
c. Type biosconfigutility.exe to start the utility. A list of commands displays
d. Type biosconfigutility.exe /newsetuppassword:"" to remove BIOS administrator password

e. Type biosconfigutility.exe /newsetuppassword:"password" to create a new BIOS administrator password

3.) Restart the notebook & press F10 at startup

4.) Log in using the new BIOS administrator password (the password is password)

5.) Choose User Management and delete any previous ProtectTools users

6.) Choose Change Password under User Tools to remove/change BIOS administrator password

7.) Save the new settings & exit setup.

Done. Password gone! :OpenSmile: Please remember to click kudos! if this help you too.

*PS: (pigletbb) case.

HP Recommended

I tried doing this, but when i try to enter cd\program files\hewlett-packard\ssm, i get "The system cannot find the path specified.  I tried it with program files(x86) just in case.  No go.

\

Any ideas?

HP Recommended
Hello!

I also have a 2530p and have encountered the same problem, installed SSM and changed the password ( at least I think - it doesn't gave any error but neither any confirmation)
But when I start the computer and press F10, it immediately asks for the password of the ProtectTools User, and I see no option to change to the Administrator user. How can I tell the system that I want to login as administrator?

Any help appreciated
HP Recommended

I have figured it out, if anyone is interested the problem was Win7, asSSM only works on XP & Vista.
After I have installed XP and ran SSM, it finally told me that the password change operation was succesful, and upon rebooting and pressing F10, the BIOS greeted me with a new screen, telling me that one of the users doesn't have HP Spare Key enrolled. After that I was finally able to login as BIOS Administrator, and get rid of ProtectTools user for good.

HP Recommended

Actually... It does work on Windows 7 PCs.  🙂

HP Recommended

This didn't work for me, it says the old password wasn't matched.

I've been round and round with HP tier 2 support.  Only option is to replace the motherboard at our company cost bacause it's a user driven failure even though the machine is still under full warranty. 

HP Recommended
Tried "password" and it worked for me 😉
HP Recommended
Your computer is an Enterprise/Business/Commercial model.  As these are the consumer forums, I would recommend that you post this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

Best of luck,
Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hello, I have the same problem with bios password for may hp2530p, after a time, I found the greatest tool on the internet  to reset not only bios password but also fingerprint, it is successful 100% for me. This is the guide for it.

---------------------------------

Greetings HAK5,

I have a system/tool I have created that WILL help some of you reset and clear the Password/TPM on select HP Probook/Elitebook laptops.  I originally shared my work with YouTube and MyDigitalLife.info (so some of my links point to my posts there, not trying to cross-link or anything.  Just trying to keeping relevant information in the right places.  If that's against s the rules, a MOD may edit them out.

This is Bar-None the single best software based solution to HP Pro/Elitebook BIOS password resets.  100% Legit.  No Scam, No Spam, No virus.  Look at my 26K+ views youtube video, and read the comments.  I have downloads from all over the world, and I'm just here to share my work with this community. 

There are now 2 versions of my tool. The Original Windows based system what creates a key based on your input, or the new DOS based tool that gets all parameters automatically.  Both links will be presented here in this post. See this [ Post ] for information on my newest release.  My windows based solution offers a bit better support for more models, while my DOS tool-set is just easier to use.

Please read everything and ask questions. I haven not yet seen a bricked BIOS, but I have see where maybe extra steps are needed to reprogram. No biggie, just a hassle.

[INTRO]

My story begins as this:

A few months back, I got an HP Core i7 Probook 6550b from my dad (that he picked up 2nd hand). It had a busted display though. Upon repair, it was found to be BIOS Password protected. And thus began my quest. Long story short here, I did what I set out to do. I was able to reset the TPM, and clear the password. Along the way, I have applied my technique to a few other models and have confirmed successful TPM reset. This is a software based solution. No disassembly, or removal of any parts (unless your boot order is locked, then there is a little work to be bone, see end of post)

[UPDATE]01-08-2014

New Windows Based utility package. Now archive contains an IMG file and tool to burn IMG to USB. USB will be bootable. Boot your HP to USB to get system info automatically. Then boot to windows, and run HP BIOS Reset.exe from USB. You can now Import your information and make a key. Reboot back to USB to run your Key. Updated Readme. Updated GUI. Enjoy.

[UPDATE BIOS]01-03-2014

If you need to update your BIOS, see my post here: http://bit.ly/Kp5yAv

[SUPPORTED MODELS

HP 6550B, HP 2530P, HP 6930P, HP 8530W, HP 8460P, HP 6460B, HP 2230S ,HP 6455B, HP 2730P, HP 8530P, HP 2740P, HP 4310S, HP s4510, HP 6535B, HP 6730B, HP 6735B, HP 8730W, HP 2560P, HP 8560P, HP 8440P, HP 8540W, HP 8560W

If your model is not listed you may experiment with the 'Make All' or SHOTGUN.

Windows Based Tools

[USE

To use this system, select your supported hp probook/elitebook model

from the drop-down list. The Serial Number field and UUID Filed will need

to be populated with data. This data needs to be that of your own

laptop's. Booting to this thumbdrive (if this package was created from official .img)

will obtain this information automatically and can be imported.

Once data is entered/imported into the fields, click the 'make key' or 'Make All' button and a file will be

created in the /output folder.

You may then reboot to this thumbdrive and CD to 'output' and run your exe file, or CD to '\output\all'

and run shotgun.bat

[ABOUT]

Displays this information

[IMPORT]

Booting to this USB Drive will collect information about your and save it to file.

Clicking 'Import' will read the information and fill out the fields automatically.

If you have noot booted this thumbrive, there will be nothing to import.

[MAKE ALL]

Is your modle not on the list? Use the 'Make All' button to create all posible

keys Using your UUID and SN. This will output them to the '\output\all' directory.

This will also create shotgun.bat file. Boot to this thumbdrive and CD to '\output\all\.

Run shotgun.bat.

[MAKE KEY]

This makes a single Key based on your SN and UUID for the selected Model.

file will be created in the '\output' folder.

Reboot to this thumbdrive and CD to '\output' and run your exe file.

[LOCKED BOOT ORDER]

If your BIOS has a locked set boot order, and will only boot to HDD,

you need to take a laptop sata drive and use an external adapter and

make it dos bootable on another host machine also placing the files

on this drive, then replace the internal hdd with your created dos

boot-able HDD. Powering on the machine will boot to the dos

environment. Using DOS commands, navigate to your files and

execute them following directions on screen. BIOS will be free of

passwords, TPM will be cleared.

[DISCLAIMER]

There may be unforeseen negative results stemming from use of this

system. By downloading and using my tools, you agree to use them at

your own risk. This was originally for myself, but I have opened up to

the community. I am not a professional programmer. There is no

guarantee of success using this tool, even on units that are marked as

'confirmed'.

-Enjoy

[LINKS]

My Windows based utility:

https://app.box.com/s/wdad77j00jtw1l5n73jd

[NEW] My DOS Based Utility [NEW]

https://app.box.com/s/ecejqduvfhl513a6h9c7

[VIDEOS]

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Bs8p927SyVU

https://www.youtube....h?v=VHRcCRi4KZY

https://www.youtube....h?v=AwwpuAs-Ug0

Thank you for looking. I welcome all feedback good or bad, just trying to help people.

-----------------------------------------
I confirm that 100% work, have fun.

Thanks alot The Author for this great tool.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.