Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had the same issue and fixed by using the level two print head clean under HP utility app

HP Recommended

Dude,

Thanks for your help with the black print problem.  If you are still unemployed and feel like visting Australia let me know and I will buy you a beer and find you a job.

Regards

Rod

HP Recommended

This solution absolutely saved me!!!! Of course my kid's school project is due in less than 2 days when bang, the black stopped working. The display said the cartridge was  half full of ink, but I put a new one in. Nothing. Tried shutting down, unplugging, nothing.

I pulled the carriage as you said and black ink was caked around the carriage bottom. I didn't have time to tonight to rinse and let dry overnight, so I wiped all the caked ink off and replaced to see if it would get me by until I have time to let it dry. IT WORKED!!!! I was about to go out tomorrow and buy an new printer. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I'm going to go back and rinse after we finish. But man 'o man! you saved me a couple of hundred dollars!!!  Thank you!!

HP Recommended

I have already tried all the solutions listed.  I even purchased a new printhead from HP.  (I did clean the old one first.)  All colors, including photo grey work.  But the black doesn't.

HP Recommended

But I tried the post above...I unplugged the printer for over 25 sec., held down the 3 and # buttons simultaneously for another 25 sec plus then plugged printer in while still holding the buttons down and did this for another 25 sec.  Had to reset the lang. and country, but after a few minutes it printed a perfect test page and I was able to print all my docs now! 

What is 3 and #. Where do I find them so I can hold them down. Please explain. Thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you for Bob_Headrick the recommendation .

The step by step solution for manually cleaning the printing head taken from the archived HP pages worked for me first time and there is a simole to follow youtube video as well. (The reset did not work for me)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-pri...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.