Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro MFP M130nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

HI

I am using (Window 7 Professional ) computer and installed my HP Laserjet Pro MFP M130nw (downloading the driver from HP software)

Even though I have changed the settings EVERYWHERE to A4 format - including the measurements to show millimeters - and even though all settings indicate that the format has been changed correctly, printed documents still come out as if printed in Letter format.

The only place in printer settings and preferences that I can find where it still says Letter is under in the "General" tab (right click the default printer  "Printer Properties") where it under the heading "Paper available" says "Letter".  And...I don't know where/how to change that setting.

However on my second printer of the same model that I am using for another computer , the settings also show Letter in this place, and that computer can - despite that - still print in A4 format....so this may not be the problem. Due to this proble I am not able to print even a single page without getting error message saying "Load paper, plain A4,  press OK to use current media.

Can anyone PLEASE help !

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

>> ... "Load paper, plain A4,  press OK to use current media ...

This implies that the print job generated by the printer driver on your PC is requesting a paper size of A4 (and a paper type of Plain), so all would seem to be OK as regards settings on the PC.

It also implies that the printer itself does not think that it has has A4 paper loaded in its (only?) tray.

Most LaserJet printers automatically detect the paper sizes loaded in their paper cassette tray(s), via sensors attached to the paper width and length guides in the trays. 

But from what I can understand by looking at the User Guide manual for your Laserjet Pro MFP M130nw printer, this model doesn't have a proper cassette tray - just a multi-purpose tray, which possibly does not have paper size sensors.

So perhaps you need to specify the paper size loaded via the menu system on the printer's front panel?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

The paper loaded in the printer is A4 and there is only one multiple paper tray in this printer, the Issue here is that if I change all default settings as A4 in the printer and my computer at the time of printing, it is giving a error message

"Load paper, plain A4,  press OK to use current media. But if I change all paper settings to LETTER in my computer and printer then there is no error message but I am not  Letter size paper I am using A4 size. I use only A4 size and do not change paper size at anytime and the paper tray is almost full at all times. 

Best Regards

HP Recommended

>> ... if I change all default settings as A4 in the printer and my computer at the time of printing, it is giving a error message "Load paper, plain A4, press OK to use current media ...

Which (as I said before) indicates that the settings on the computer are correct (the print job is asking for paper size = A4 and paper type = Plain), but that the printer (for whatever reason) does not believe that it has A4 paper loaded in the tray.

>>  if I change all paper settings to LETTER in my computer and printer then there is no error message ...

Which indicates that if the print job generated by the printer driver on the computer has requested paper size = Letter,  and that the printer processes this immediately (without a prompt) because it believes that this is the size loaded in the  tray.

So the problem is definitely at the printer end - it thinks that it has Letter size paper loaded.

I don't have access to a printer of this model, so don't know how it 'knows' what paper size is loaded.

I've no idea whether this should be automatic (via sensors attached to the paper width and length guides - make sure that these are set appropriately) or if you have to set the paper size via one of the menus on the front panel.

If these menus include a 'print configuration' report, or similar, use this to (hopefully) find out what the printer thinks it has loaded in its tray.

HP Recommended

Hi

I had the same problem that I had to hit the Ok button each time to print a document because the printer keeps asking me about the size of the paper in the tray and finally I found the solution 

1- control panel

2- Device and Printers

3- right click on your printer

4- Printer properties

5- Device settings

6- change tray 1 to A4 and change manuale feed to A4 insted of Letter 

done

I Hope it will help My printer is not asking me anymore because it is the same size I am using

Good Luck

HP Recommended

That helped, thx! On my Windows 10 Pro I only had to go one property level deeper to change the settings:

1. control panel
  2. Device and Printers
  3. right click on your printer
  4. Printer properties (can't change here on Device Settings tab)
  5. Change Properties
  6. Device settings (but can here)
  7. change tray 1 to A4 and change manuale feed to A4 insted of Letter

Or via Start Menu, Settings:

1. Go to Devices, Printers & Scanners
  2. (Left) click on <your printer>, then Manage
  3. Click Printer properties (can't change here on Device Settings tab)
  4. Click Change Properties, then Device Settings
  5. Change all paper size settings to the desired size.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.