Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank Plus 551 Wireless All-in-One

There are horizontal lines in everything that I print in color on my Smart Tank Plus 551, which is almost 4 years old. I've done the automated printhead cleaning multiple times, it's the blue that has lines in the test pages (other colors are fine in the test pages). I saw the instructions for replacing a printhead require the printhead to automatically move to the center of the printer when the printer doors are opened, but mine stays to the side where I can't remove it when I open the printer access doors. Apparently that means the printer does not think the printheads need to be replaced. The blue ink tank is about half full. What can I do to make the printer stop having lines in all the blue backgrounds in printed pages?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @SmartTankFan,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue on your Smart Tank Plus 551 printer. Horizontal lines in printouts, particularly with one specific color, often indicate problems with the printhead. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

Manual Printhead Cleaning: Since automated cleaning hasn't resolved the issue, you might need to clean the printhead manually. Here’s how you can do it:

• Turn off the printer and open it up to access the printhead.
  • If the printhead doesn't automatically move to the center, you might manually slide it (if the printer allows this when turned off). Be careful not to force it if there's resistance.
  • Use a damp lint-free cloth to gently wipe any excess ink off the printhead. Be careful to not touch the nozzles.
  • Use distilled water rather than tap water to avoid any mineral deposits.

Check the Ink Quality:

• Even though the blue ink tank is about half full, check if the ink has expired or if there are any inconsistencies like thickening or sediment. Replace the ink if it seems to be in poor condition.

Align the Printhead:

• Sometimes, aligning the printhead using the printer’s built-in function can resolve printing issues. Look for an option to align the printhead in the printer's maintenance/settings menu.

Firmware Update:

• Check if there’s a firmware update available for your printer. HP often release updates to fix known bugs and improve performance.

Inspect for Mechanical Issues:

• Ensure there are no mechanical obstructions or debris inside the printer that might be affecting the movement or functionality of the printhead.

Printhead Replacement:

• If none of the above steps work, and the printhead is still not moving automatically to the center when accessing it, this might indicate a mechanical issue with the printer itself. Consult the printer manual or support website for instructions on how to override this if possible.
  • If it seems like the printhead does indeed need to be replaced and you can’t remove it as per normal operation, contacting support for assistance or a professional service might be necessary

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.