Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro x476dw mfp
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Initially my black ink wasn't printing, when I print the report and the black bar is missing. 

Printhead reportt

Screenshot_20200911-220218_Gallery.jpg

Then, I did printhead recovery a few times, clean the waste tray and wipe the printhead with alcohol,  same result.

So I did clean printhead option 3 times, nothing changed.  Then I clean printhead level 3, and that when all hell break loose. It start printing out papers with black ink soaked half the page.  I stopped it instant, the black ink even dripped on the paper inside the paper tray.  I shutdown the printer immediately and clean up. 

After an hour, I don't see any ink dripping into the paper tray.  I restarted the printer and it started normally. So I printed a printhead report, there is nothing printed but a large strip of black ink on half the page. 

Page half black

20200911_214546.jpg

After some searching I realized printhead clean level 3 is not be used!  

Did I broke my printer? Is it still fixable?

All of my cartridges are original setup cartridge. The printer wasn't used for about 2 years. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The bad news is that likely the print bar (printhead) was clogged due to pigment settlement. The use of alcohol is not recommended due to the possibility of damaging components. If the printer was sitting for 2 years powered off, then in most cases it is not recoverable. My guess is that forcing the cleanings caused the bladder for the black print system to leak, much a radiator cap on an overheated car. Once that happens  the system can no longer maintain proper pressure in the ink system. Repair cost will grossly exceed the replacement cost. Caution to other users, these printers must be continually connected to power and be in sleep mode in order for them to perform periodic maintenance to avoid the issue this user has experienced.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The bad news is that likely the print bar (printhead) was clogged due to pigment settlement. The use of alcohol is not recommended due to the possibility of damaging components. If the printer was sitting for 2 years powered off, then in most cases it is not recoverable. My guess is that forcing the cleanings caused the bladder for the black print system to leak, much a radiator cap on an overheated car. Once that happens  the system can no longer maintain proper pressure in the ink system. Repair cost will grossly exceed the replacement cost. Caution to other users, these printers must be continually connected to power and be in sleep mode in order for them to perform periodic maintenance to avoid the issue this user has experienced.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  It's not what I want to hear but what can I do.   Replacing the print bar is going to cost too much.  The printer was connected, just wasn't printing for 2 years, I do a lot scanning on it.  It does do it's own maintenance from time to time, I could hear notice at night.  It was complaining about black ink low and I never bother replacing the cartridge. I have a black and white laser printer I use for that.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.