Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255 All-in-One Printer

My printer decided not to print or scan in any color if I put a paper on the glass but If I load it from the top, we have no problem. Why is this happening. I have aligned and cleaned the heads but still will not work .

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @RCP63,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

The issue you're experiencing with your HP OfficeJet 5255, where it doesn't print or scan in color from the glass but works fine from the document feeder, could be due to several reasons. Here are some steps to diagnose and resolve the problem:

Step 1: Clean the Scanner Glass

1. Turn off the printer: Unplug the printer from the power source.
  2. Open the scanner lid: Use a soft, lint-free cloth and glass cleaner to clean the scanner glass and the white underside of the scanner lid.
  3. Dry the glass: Make sure the glass is completely dry before closing the lid and powering the printer back on.

Step 2: Check Scanner Settings

1. Open the scanning software: Use HP Scan or any other scanning software you have installed.
  2. Check color settings: Ensure the scan settings are set to color. Sometimes, the default settings may be set to grayscale or black and white for the scanner glass.

Step 3: Perform a Scanner Test

1. Use the printer control panel: Navigate to the settings or tools menu.
  2. Run a scanner test: Look for a scanner or maintenance test option to see if it can diagnose and fix any issues.

Step 4: Update Firmware and Drivers

1. Check for updates: Go to the HP Support website and check if there are any firmware or driver updates available for your printer.
  2. Install updates: Download and install any available updates.

Step 5: Reset the Printer

1. Turn off the printer: Unplug it from the power source.
  2. Wait for a minute: Plug the printer back in and turn it on

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and potentially fix the issue with your HP OfficeJet 5255 printer. If the problem continues, there might be a hardware issue with the scanner itself.

Check for Hardware Issues

1. Inspect the scanner glass: Look for any visible damage or obstructions on the scanner glass or inside the scanner lid.
  2. Contact HP Support: If the problem persists, it could be a hardware issue, and you may need to contact HP phone Support for further assistance.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.