Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2210 All in one printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I updated to Windows 10, and since then I'm able to print but not scan with my HP 2210 All-in-one printer.  I've tried downloading the software updates but nothing seems to work.  Any suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Sajap, and @ddegan

I see you are both having trouble scanning after upgrading to Windows 10, and I may be able to help.

Most products do have updated software available on HP's support website for Windows 10.

I've also seen a few posts that say the Windows 8.1 driver will work for Windows 10 as well, so you could try that too.

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. I recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor, if it doesn't fix it automatically let me know what errors or messages you receive.

Do you know if you are able to scan using Paint?

To Scan from Paint: HP Multifunction Printers - How to Scan: Windows 8 

(It's the same for Windows 10, from what I've been told)

1. Right-click the Start button () in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type ...
  2. Click Paint in the results.
  3. Click File, and then click From scanner or camera.
  4. Select your printer, click OK, and then click Scan.

Please let me know if any of these steps resolved your issue, or if there is anything else I can do to help. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I've been having the same problem with my 8620. I think it's a driver issue. HP hasn't created one for the Windows 10 yet. I just discovered that I can scan directly on the machine to a USB Flash drive and then insert that into my computer. Works great for now until they get something up and running. Do you have that option on your machine?

HP Recommended

Hi @Sajap, and @ddegan

I see you are both having trouble scanning after upgrading to Windows 10, and I may be able to help.

Most products do have updated software available on HP's support website for Windows 10.

I've also seen a few posts that say the Windows 8.1 driver will work for Windows 10 as well, so you could try that too.

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. I recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor, if it doesn't fix it automatically let me know what errors or messages you receive.

Do you know if you are able to scan using Paint?

To Scan from Paint: HP Multifunction Printers - How to Scan: Windows 8 

(It's the same for Windows 10, from what I've been told)

1. Right-click the Start button () in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type ...
  2. Click Paint in the results.
  3. Click File, and then click From scanner or camera.
  4. Select your printer, click OK, and then click Scan.

Please let me know if any of these steps resolved your issue, or if there is anything else I can do to help. 

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I tried a variety of things: I tried checking here to see if I needed to in fact install anything new, clicked and was told I was fine, and then it still didn't work. I uninstalled and tried reinstalling. Didn't work. Tried using the HP Print and Scan Doctor. It won't work. It's just bringing up the box asking me to reinstall. When I click, it goes through all the motions and goes on and on and on. 

I've got my printer set up wireless by the way as I have a home office setup and three computers set up to the printer. All were fine before I downloaded Windows 10 the other day. Didn't even think about this side effect. 

HP Recommended

Hi @ddegan

Have you tried just using the New Scanner app in Windows 10? It's the same as the one for Windows 8.

Here are some resources;

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I got the scanner working today by going to the HP Support page and redownloading the 8620 Driver completely, the HP assistant wizard software and the HP Print and Scan software too.  Didn't work when I tried it on Thursday; system said what I had was completely up-to-date but today it reloaded and updated. Now it works. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping

HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem. I just turned off the computer and the next day, it worked like a charm. Who knew?

HP Recommended

I have been trying for the better part of two days to get my HP Envy 4520 to scan to my Windows 10 desktop PC with no joy.

One tidbit of information I gleaned from all my "travels" is that it is common for computers to print okay (as mine does), but have trouble scanning -- as printing only requires only one-way travel from the computer to the printer, whereas scanning requires two-way travel back and forth between the computer and printer.  Interesting, but hardly a help in getting a scan done.

On the other hand, the advice given here about using "Paint" proved to be instantly practical and useful.  I followed the directions given and it worked like a charm first time.  Hallalujah!   Thank you, thank you, thank you.  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.