Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8725
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP community,

I've been using HP Scan Extended in my office for years now. It's simple and great for scanning to pdf. 

I did a clean install of my operating system and reïnstalled HP Scan Extended. The software loads, but can't seem to find connection with my all-in-one device. When I press 'scan', I get the error: An error occurred while scanning. 

Printing and scanning with HP Smart works fine, but I find it not as efficient as HP Scan Extended. 

For some reason, before I reinstalled my OS, the software gave me two options to choose from before opening the main window. I had to choose the NET option. I have no clue what it means, but now it won't let me even choose. 

Thank you in advance. If you need any further information, I'll be happy to provide. 

Niels 

Belgium

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TempusTVP 

Simple Answer:  There is no direct troubleshooting the (at this writing) five year old HP Scan Extended driver.

The drivers for your printer ( HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 ) are newer by three years than HPSE (HP Scan Extended).

HPSE depends on the Full Feature Driver for your printer having been installed.  This is because HPSE is not a full driver, rather HPSE is a subset of some nicely featured (and older) HP Scan software.

If you have not done so, install the Full Driver for your printer.

Install - Manual Installation of the Downloaded Printer Software

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator

NOTES

1. If you use the Easy Start method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when the option to select the software is presented. The name of the “full driver” might vary by printer model.  For example, the software might be called “Full Solution Software”.
  2. After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

=============================================================

After the full driver for your printer is installed, HPSE may start working.

If not, uninstall HP Scan Extended > Restart the computer > Download and install a fresh copy of the HP Scan Extended software.

HP Scan Extended

• Download-Save-Install > HP Scan Extended 
  • HPSE is a subset an older Full Feature Software suite.
  • HPSE features are very similar to the HP Scan Software released after 2015.
  • Although HPSE appears to be a separate software, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the Full Feature Software. The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL: Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click exe > Select Pin to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start

• HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  May include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

========================================================================

Important

Although HPSE might still work, its use may not be necessary for your printer.

The full driver for this printer series printer likely provides all the same features as available in HPSE.  

HP Scan Extended - Examples

HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1

HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1

Officejet Pro 8740 - Examples -HP Scan 

8740_Scan_to_Email_PDF_18740_Scan_to_Email_PDF_1HP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1BHP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1BHP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1HP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TempusTVP 

Simple Answer:  There is no direct troubleshooting the (at this writing) five year old HP Scan Extended driver.

The drivers for your printer ( HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 ) are newer by three years than HPSE (HP Scan Extended).

HPSE depends on the Full Feature Driver for your printer having been installed.  This is because HPSE is not a full driver, rather HPSE is a subset of some nicely featured (and older) HP Scan software.

If you have not done so, install the Full Driver for your printer.

Install - Manual Installation of the Downloaded Printer Software

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator

NOTES

1. If you use the Easy Start method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when the option to select the software is presented. The name of the “full driver” might vary by printer model.  For example, the software might be called “Full Solution Software”.
  2. After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

=============================================================

After the full driver for your printer is installed, HPSE may start working.

If not, uninstall HP Scan Extended > Restart the computer > Download and install a fresh copy of the HP Scan Extended software.

HP Scan Extended

• Download-Save-Install > HP Scan Extended 
  • HPSE is a subset an older Full Feature Software suite.
  • HPSE features are very similar to the HP Scan Software released after 2015.
  • Although HPSE appears to be a separate software, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the Full Feature Software. The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL: Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click exe > Select Pin to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start

• HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  May include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

========================================================================

Important

Although HPSE might still work, its use may not be necessary for your printer.

The full driver for this printer series printer likely provides all the same features as available in HPSE.  

HP Scan Extended - Examples

HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1

HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1

Officejet Pro 8740 - Examples -HP Scan 

8740_Scan_to_Email_PDF_18740_Scan_to_Email_PDF_1HP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1BHP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1BHP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1HP_8740_Scan_Shortcut_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. 

I guess the problem was not installing the full software package before installing HPSE.

THANKS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.