Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7612 Wide Format e-All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A friend gave me their HP Officejet 7612 a bit over a month ago, and I've been trying to get it working. I can print over USB, LAN, or WiFi, but I can't do anything else. I was able to get scanning to work a couple times early on, but after I moved the printer to a different room (and even now with it back in the first room), I can't get scanning to work at all. I constantly get the "Unable to scan, copy or send a fax" message. I know the firmware is old, but I can't update it. I also repeatedly tried enabling Web Services because that includes Auto Product Update, but that always fails.

Printer: HP Officejet 7612 Wide Format e-All-in-One
Firmware version: EXM1CN1615AR

Issues: 1) firmware update failing, 2) web service setup failing, 3) scanner failure

Errors: NO NUMBERED ERROR CODES, only generic messages such as: "Unsuccessful", "Unable to scan, copy or send a fax", "WebService (ePrint and Apps) could not be enabled", "Web Services is not enabled...try setting up Web Services again", "click the Retry button below", "The update failed on 1 printer...turn the printer off, then on...", etc.

Things I have tried:
1. Unplug, wait, plug directly into wall outlet (multiple times)
2. "Semi-full reset" (2 times)
3. Configuring printer using Full_Webpack-1009-OJ7610_Full_Webpack.exe from 2 different computers, one win10 pro, one win11.

4. Attempting firmware update using OJ7612_2022A.exe, with one connection method enabled at a time: USB, LAN, Wi-Fi
5. Enabling web services with Auto Product Update from the printer, from the printer's web admin interface, using Printer Setup & Software utility, and using HP Smart(on Android Phone and Windows app in Windows 11.

So, what have I missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Last night I finally got the firmware to update, and ePrinting works now, but I still cannot scan. I'll create a new post on that.

What I did that appears to have resulted in firmware successfully updating:

1. I previously did a "semi-full" reset twice. I don't know if this was part of the eventual solution. 

2. I repeatedly tried turning the printer on and off, unplugging the power from both ends, and using different outlets in the house. Most of the time I'd get "Unable to scan, copy or send a fax" _immediately_ after restarting the printer, but sometimes I wouldn't get that message right away, but I would get it when I tried to scan or copy something.

3. I unplugged the power from both ends and restarting a few more times, till there was another time when the error didn't immediately appear on the computer. At the time, the printer was connected to my Win11 laptop via USB.

4. _Without_ first attempting to scan or copy, I ran the firmware updater (OJ7612_2022A.exe), and this time it worked.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Ah, come on, over 80 views and not a single suggestion? Give me a break. 😀

PLEASE someone help. Thanks!

HP Recommended

@christopher_pc

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the communities page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for suggesting the semi-full reset, but I already did that twice. Yesterday I was able, finally, to update the firmware, but I'm still unable to scan. I'll close this post and open a new one specific to scanning. Please help me there if you can.

HP Recommended

Last night I finally got the firmware to update, and ePrinting works now, but I still cannot scan. I'll create a new post on that.

What I did that appears to have resulted in firmware successfully updating:

1. I previously did a "semi-full" reset twice. I don't know if this was part of the eventual solution. 

2. I repeatedly tried turning the printer on and off, unplugging the power from both ends, and using different outlets in the house. Most of the time I'd get "Unable to scan, copy or send a fax" _immediately_ after restarting the printer, but sometimes I wouldn't get that message right away, but I would get it when I tried to scan or copy something.

3. I unplugged the power from both ends and restarting a few more times, till there was another time when the error didn't immediately appear on the computer. At the time, the printer was connected to my Win11 laptop via USB.

4. _Without_ first attempting to scan or copy, I ran the firmware updater (OJ7612_2022A.exe), and this time it worked.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a nice day and stay safe!:)

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there, I have an officejet 8660 with similar issues, I am one of your views that didn't respond! Because like you I usually end up fixing my own problems and I knew I would eventually fix this one however I don't exactly know what a "semi-full reset" is.  I have unplugged etc. but still doesn't enable the web services, can you describe "semi-reset", maybe I've missed something? Thx

HP Recommended

I found the instructions for my printer here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/OfficeJet-7612-Master-Reset...

The process varies from printer to printer, so the steps might be different on your printer, and that level of reset might be called something different.

HP Recommended

Thank you I will check this out, appreciate the response!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.