Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5744
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

RE: Printer problems following Windows10 1709 update

HP Officejet 5744 not printing after Windows 10 version 1709 software update.

Dell XPS 8700

Windows 10 Home Version 1709 OS build 16299.192

Printer and computer connected via wireless.

After a few unsuccessful attempts by Windows update to install Windows 1709 it was “successfully” installed on Jan 1, 2018.  Now MS Word won’t print files.

I uninstalled printer and reinstalled using HP driver OJ5740_Basicx64_40.11.1135

drivers and could see that everything looked ok. But I had the same problem. When I print from word, the file would show for a short time in the printer properties queue, but not actually print.

I can print fine from my mobile device connected via the same wireless network using the HP Smart android app.

I suspect is has something to do with the Window software using a printer port WSD-……. It was working ok before Windows 10 Home Version 1709 update.

I tried assigning the printer to a standard TCP/IP port instead of the WSD but that didn’t work either.

I’ve see the responses to others who have similar problems. In HP Forum:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Printer-problems-following-Windows10-1709...

I'm tempted to use the same advice in the forum, but I’m concerned about using the FTP exe without some advice from HP.

Can I use the same advice HP Jeet_singh offered?

“Let’s try to fix this issue by doing a clean install. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says, “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL29008/mp-109701-3/PS_AIO_06_B209a-m_140_408-5.exe and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 5744 Will not print from PC (Windows 10) The following solution worked!

For three weeks I tried all of the good suggestions in this forum but this last one worked.

So, not sure it will work for everyone because it could have been a combination of all my attempts to fix. But this last easy clue fixed the problem.

I give credit to ShlomiL in his ‎10-14-2017 his HP Support Forum: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Cannot-install-DeskJet-3630-on-clean-rein...

I used only a portion of his instructions:

1. Uninstall the HP Software and Drivers from your PC
  2. Press and hold the Windows key and press key “R” to launch Run menu
  3. Type “services.msc” and left click “OK” to open Services.
  4. Scroll to locate name “Print Spooler” and left click on the name.
  5. Stop the service by left click on word “Stop”
  6. Using Windows File Explorer browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers
  7. Rename folder “W32X86” to “W32x86.old”
  8. Rename folder “x64” to “x64.old”
  9. Restart computer.
  10. Reinstall Full Web Pack feature software from, the HP Support website. I used the file for my specific device, OfficeJet 5740 {OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135}

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I have a few questions/comments:

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob Headrick, Thank you for your quick and helpful response. Here are answers to your questions.

Q. You mention trying to change the Port from WSD to a TCP/IP port, but that did not work. Which part did not work - changing the port, or the results after changing the port were that the problem still existed?

A.I was able to set up the TCP/IP port and the printer problem still existed.

Q. Do you have Windows 10 Home or Pro? The printui.exe program is not available in the Home version.

A. Windows 10 Home. ps. I am able to run the printui.exe with switch /s and make changes to printer Server Properties. That’s how I set up the TCP/IP port.

Q. “The user in the other thread has a Photosmart b209a.  The driver download on the FTP site is for that printer, not for yours.  For the Officejet 5744 the proper driver for Windows 10 x64 would be found here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/66172... which has a link to http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.exe.  I would suggest saving the file to your computer first, then run it.”

A. Thanks, I didn’t realize the FTP was just a link for the same .exe file I got from the HP driver webpage for downloads.

Just to let you know, I only downloaded the basic driver OJ5740_Basicx64_40.11.1135. Next I’ll try to download and install the full web pack. OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.

I’ve used HP printers for years and this one for a few months. It ran great, until the Windows 10 1709 upgrade. So, I appreciate your help for what appears to be caused by Microsoft.

George

HP Recommended

Hi George,

I would suspect a such to occur due to insuffisient user privilleges, a such may occur due to an OS update..

Try providing your user account full permissions to the temp folder as following and check if you may see any difference:

1. Right click the Start button and select Run.
  2. Type %temp% and press OK.
  3. Browse one level up.
  4. Right click the Temp folder and select Properties.
  5. Open the Security tab and press Edit.
  6. Press Add.
  7. Type your user account and press Check Name.
    note: if you are not sure of your exact username right click the start icon and select Run, then type Control and press OK.
    Select User Accounts and your exact username will be shown.
  8. Press Apply, confirm any prompt and keep pressing Continue till there are no more prompts and press OK
    Note: there will be many, for each and any file in that folder, keep pressing continue till it finishes

Now try printing and check if you may see any diference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you ShlomiL.

That didn't fix the problem. 

Your suggetion was good and instructions were very clear and concise. But all settings were already set properly.

So, no fix at this time. 

I'm planning to unstall the HP printer that was installed using basic drivers (OJ5740_Basicx64_40.11.1135), and then install using (OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135).

Thanks again for your assistance.

George

HP Recommended

The Full and Basic drivers  are the same, the only difference is the extra "stuff" included.

I was thinking of printmanagement.msc, that one has some similar functions but is not included in Home.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob Headrick,

Thanks for explaining the difference between basic and full driver implementation. That will save me some time and complexity. I'll just continue to attempt uninsall/install the basic driver.

I do have some new things I can try first.

The new printer HP OfficeJet 5744 e-all-in-one replaced and older printer HP Photosmart D110a. The D110a was installed with Windows 7 Home and migrated with the Windows 10 Home upgrade.  The 5744 installed with Windows 10 Home.

Although I recently uninstalled the D110a while in Windows 10 Home, I don't think it completely removed ALL the computer entries. I still see it listed in the registry and in the HP folder.

I'll work independently now, to recheck my work and using the suggestions in this forum.

I may rephrase my question and repost if the printer still won't work.

Thanks again,

George

HP Recommended

Utahgeorge, your problems sound the same as mine with the ENvy 5644 AIO. Not a cure but you might like to look see if you are getting an error event when the print fails. Try printing something so that is appears in the print queue and then disappears again. Then run the event viewer (go to start menu and type event in search box and double click event viewer.

Navigate to Applications and services logs - Microsoft - Windows - Printservice - Admin.

See if it shows errors with event ID 372 each time it tries and fails to print and a message similar to "The document Print Document, owned by *******, failed to print on printer HP ENVY 5640 series. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler.
Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 291890. Number of bytes printed: 291890. Total number of pages in the document: 2. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\WIN10. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 2147500037. Unspecified error"

Don't know what it means except that it proves there is an error condition and maybe it would help the HP tech guys to find a cure.

HP Recommended

Tiptonian,

Thanks for the "Tip" and advice.

I did as you suggested and this is the event log. I get the same error from Event viewer; event code 372.

“The document Print Document, owned by George, failed to print on printer HP Officejet 5740 series (Network). Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler.

Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 42832. Number of bytes printed: 42832. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\DELLXPS8700. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 2147500037. Unspecified error”

My printer and computer are connected to my Local wireless Network. As I said in my prior responses, I can still print from my mobile phone with HP Smart App, and my wife can print from Apple mini Ipad. I don’t think it’s something HP can solve, so I’ve begun to look at Microsoft support forums looking for a solution.

From microsoft forum support, I just used some suggestions and changed a couple of Registry Entries to change security premissions for certain services, but no difference.

I’m going to keep working at it from a Microsoft point of view. I’ll post any good solutions.

So, thanks for sharing and I hope either we figures it out, or Microsoft sends and update that will fix the problem.

For a less favorable solution, is to recover the operating system to a working release. But I don’t favor that, because it’s too easy to fall behind and not benefit from new/necessary Windows 10 updates.

Good luck,

George

HP Recommended

Tiptonian,

Microsoft confirms Epson Printer bug caused by November 2017 updates

This won't help a lot for us now, but seems Epson printers have a problem with the new Windows updates. Epson and Windows are working on a solution.

They wrote in the following posts (see links below) that updating drivers isn't going to solve the problem. Maybe the same issue with HP? Wish Microsoft and HP would make a public statement so we, as customers, can stop thinking it's something we can fix ourselves, and should just wait for an update from Windows or HP.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/17/microsoft-confirms-epson-printer-bug-caused-by-november-2017-updat...

And within that  web page they reference with a link to some of the same problems we're experienceing.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/14/microsoft-security-updates-november-2017-release/

George

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.