Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer - G510g

Dear forum members,

with the following setup:

Micrososft Windows 10 Pro

Version: 10.0.19045 Build 19045

HP Smart

Version: 152.1.1099.0

Printer: HP Officejet 4500

Driver Version: 10.0.17119.1

I have the following problem:

After replacing /refilling an ink cartridge the printer won't print anymore, it ejects only blank paper.

I acknowledged the message of an empty ink cartrige a few times before.

HP Smart doesn't know the printers status even though it knows thats the printer is "Aktive".

Suggestions like

- check the cable

- restart programms and printers

- check for driver updates

doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to disable the printer from checking the ink cartridges (print counter etc.)?

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerelly

Jann

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JannBo,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing an issue with your printer that prints blank pages.

A) Please follow the steps below to perform a power drain.

1) Take out the cartridges

2) Unplug the power cord from the printer & wall.

3) Press and hold the power button down for 15 seconds and release the power button, wait for about 30 seconds.

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not into a surge protector.

5) Insert the cartridges back into the printer.

Remove the cartridges > Unplug the power cord > Wait for 30 seconds > Plug the power cord back in > Insert the cartridges

B) Kindly refer to the steps on this link to update the printer firmware and let me know if that resolves the issue.

C) If the issue still persists, please refer to the below links for more information related to using non HP ink cartridges.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1692853-70737-16

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05308850

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_7470520-7449625-16?

If you are using generic or Non HP ink cartridges and the above links do not help. You will have to contact the generic ink cartridge manufacturer to assist you further with it or you will have to use genuine HP ink cartridges to resume printing.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello @Irwin6,

thank you for your support.

(A) Didn't solve the problme.

It was a little bit unclear wheather the printer has to be turned on / off to remove the cartridges.

After the first powerdrainage I keept the printer off and manually moved the cartridge holder to the right.

(This is beeing tone automatically if the printer is on after opening the service panel)

(B) Firmware will be updated by the operating system.

(C) The supplied links didn't help as well

1st link: Where do I get the shown "event code"?

2nd link: My printer model is not listed in the subtitle. Is it still possible to change such an security setting?

As a mentiont I think the printer things the cartridge is empty and wants to protect itself (I refilled the cartridge recently).

3rd link: Does not matter because it is stille the original non modified cartridge.

Further information:

(I am sorry but I don't know how to change the language from german to english, it may be linked to the setting in the OS)

I tried the tool "HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.7.4". Everything seems to be right, the test print gives me a blank page which reinforces my thought of an interuption by the cartridge protection.

HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.7.4 HP Officejet 4500.PNG

As mentiont in my initial question the status of the printer is not available.
HP Smart HP Officejet 4500.PNG

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerelly

Jann

HP Recommended

Hi @JannBo,

I am sorry to hear that the above steps did not help much but i do appreciate your efforts in performing the troubleshooting steps.

As you have exhausted all the possible troubleshooting to fix the issue, the only option left is to replace the ink cartridge with genuine HP cartridges.

The support here is limited to troubleshooting and this issue might require one-on-one interaction to assist you further.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, Click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.