Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4655 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

O.k. Here this goes.
Printer: HP OfficeJet 4655
Operating System: Windows 10 (64 bit)
Problem: When printing from my computer, it will only print in grey scale, no matter the options I tell the program.
Weirdness: When I print form my phone, or my wife's computer, it prints in color, as expected.
Things I've tried:

• I've gone to Control Panel>Devices and printers>Printing preferences> and there is no options here for color. The three tabs on the top read: Layout, which has Orientation, Print on both sides manually, Page order, and pages per sheet options; Paper/Quality, which has Tray Selection, and Quality Settings; and Printing Shortcut, which has Paper type, Print quality, pages per sheet, borderless, and print on both sides manually. If I press the advanced options, there are still no options for color.
  • I have gone to Control Panel>Devices and printers>Printer properties> Here, it tells me that it is capable of printing in color, but has no options to do so. I can press a button to go back to printing Preferences, and a button to print a test page, which it prints in grey scale. There is a tab labeled Color Management, but this seems to be more for monitors and displays rather than printers.
  • I have tried removing the printer, and adding it again.
  • I have tried removing the printer, and adding it via TCPIP, which was suggested else where in the forums.
  • I have tried cleaning the ink heads, as suggested elsewhere, even though it prints color just fine from my phone.
  • I have tried installing HPSmart to find additional options, though I can't seem to find any color options here.
  • I've tried setting my office programs to print in black and white, grayscale and color, but it only prints in grayscale.
  • I've tried printing from Chrome, firefox, and even microsoft edge, and adjusting their color properties from Black and white to color, and it only ever prints greyscale.

If I recall: I seem to remember there used to be buttons or settings for color in the printing preferences under the paper and quality tab, just below the quality radials. Now, my memory is fuzzy, and it could have been it's own tab, or maybe in a different tab, 

I really don't know what else to do. It's like there is some hidden settings that I just no longer have access to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Have a look at :

OfficeJet 3830 Color option missing from printer preferences - HP Support Community - 8264615

The workaround could also work for your specific HP printer. If it is the case, thanks to give feedback.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Yarnperson 

1. Try with the software download from the next link:

2. Restart computer.

3. Try to print again and check if the print color options are working ok.

* Click on YES button   to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
HP Recommended

Have a look at :

OfficeJet 3830 Color option missing from printer preferences - HP Support Community - 8264615

The workaround could also work for your specific HP printer. If it is the case, thanks to give feedback.

HP Recommended

From the link given:
simply create a new registry key (printer type and code in brackets may be different for you) and the print color option reappears instantly :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\HP OfficeJet 3830 series [07991E]\PrinterDriverData
"ColorPrinting"=dword:00000001

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.