Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP1018 laser printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 recognises and seems to install the printer. The printer is visible in configuration but not in printerlist.

Tried all described methods: searching, manual usb, and so on but no success.

The HP  print and scan doctor program sees the printer but shows  that the drivers are not installed en sends me to

hp support  that supplies no drives but refers to Windows installing them automatically.the doctor program stops there

so I am back at where I started.

Is there a solution? It is a waste to discard a good, maybe older  printer with  filled cartridge.

It 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GGGizmo,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

There is no full feature software available for your printer. I recommend you try installing the alternate driver and check if it helps.

1. Make sure that the USB cable is not connected to the printer. If the USB cable is connected to the printer, disconnect it.

2. Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet.

3. Right-click the Start button () in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type Devices and Printers.

4. Click Devices and Printers.

5. Click Add a printer. The Add Printer window opens.

6. Click The printer that I want isn't listed.

7. Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, and then click Next.

8. Select Use an existing port, and then click the Use an existing port drop-down list, select LPT1: (Printer Port). Click Next.

9. Click the Windows Update button to see the HP print driver. This might take a few minutes.

10. Under Manufacturer in the Install the printer driver window, click HP.

11. Under Printers, select any HP Laserjet 1000 series as the alternate driver for your printer, and then click Next.

12. In the Printer name text box, the printer's name displays. Click Next. The print driver starts the installation process. When the installation is complete, a message displays on the computer stating that the printer was added successfully.

13. Click the box to Set as the default printer, and then click Finish.

14. Connect the USB cable to the printer, and connect the USB cable to the computer. A Device driver software was not successfully installed window opens.

15. Click Close to close the window.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GGGizmo,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Please follow the steps in the below article to install the Windows built-in drivers for your printer.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer but this answer is exact as HP suggests and Windows refers to as a solution 

"add a printer"

So this is neverending, running around in circles procedure.

If the laserjet 1018 is no longer supported by  neither HP nor Windows I would like to know and

take steps. The same goes for Linux  and the HP printer app in the Chromestore for Chromebooks. 

If laserjet 1018 

HP Recommended

@GGGizmo,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

There is no full feature software available for your printer. I recommend you try installing the alternate driver and check if it helps.

1. Make sure that the USB cable is not connected to the printer. If the USB cable is connected to the printer, disconnect it.

2. Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet.

3. Right-click the Start button () in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type Devices and Printers.

4. Click Devices and Printers.

5. Click Add a printer. The Add Printer window opens.

6. Click The printer that I want isn't listed.

7. Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, and then click Next.

8. Select Use an existing port, and then click the Use an existing port drop-down list, select LPT1: (Printer Port). Click Next.

9. Click the Windows Update button to see the HP print driver. This might take a few minutes.

10. Under Manufacturer in the Install the printer driver window, click HP.

11. Under Printers, select any HP Laserjet 1000 series as the alternate driver for your printer, and then click Next.

12. In the Printer name text box, the printer's name displays. Click Next. The print driver starts the installation process. When the installation is complete, a message displays on the computer stating that the printer was added successfully.

13. Click the box to Set as the default printer, and then click Finish.

14. Connect the USB cable to the printer, and connect the USB cable to the computer. A Device driver software was not successfully installed window opens.

15. Click Close to close the window.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The HP 1018 works with solution. Thank you very much

HP Recommended

@GGGizmo,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.