Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hi

i have just replaced my Officejet6500 with an Offiejet 6830

i have been through all the setup step until the software looks for the printer and it cant be found. the printer is confirmed as connected to the same wireless network as the computer so i have no idea why it is not being discovered 

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @mfbar,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that your Officejet 6830 e-All-In-One Printer and your Mac OSX 10.10 machine are not communicating. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done:

Turn the printer off.

While the printer is powered off, remove the power cord from the back of your router for one minute.

When the lights return on the router, turn the printer back on.

Now on the printer click on the wireless icon that looks like a radio tower.

• If the IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with the router for assistance with making sure the router assigns IP Addresses.
  • If the IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with the router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the IP Address starts with 192.168, the printer is connected properly to the network. Please see below.
  • If the IP Address starts with any other number, the network is being maintained. Contact your IT person or whoever maintains the network for assistance.

Once the above has been completed, if the Mac is still unable to detect the printer then the next step is to contact your internet provider or whoever provided the router. When you do, ask them to:

• Open all ports.
  • Enable Multicasting.
  • Disable MAC filtering/MAC cloning.
  • Make sure the router has a 2.4 GHz (Giga-Hertz) band.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to connect your printer, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @mfbar,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that your Officejet 6830 e-All-In-One Printer and your Mac OSX 10.10 machine are not communicating. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done:

Turn the printer off.

While the printer is powered off, remove the power cord from the back of your router for one minute.

When the lights return on the router, turn the printer back on.

Now on the printer click on the wireless icon that looks like a radio tower.

• If the IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with the router for assistance with making sure the router assigns IP Addresses.
  • If the IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with the router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the IP Address starts with 192.168, the printer is connected properly to the network. Please see below.
  • If the IP Address starts with any other number, the network is being maintained. Contact your IT person or whoever maintains the network for assistance.

Once the above has been completed, if the Mac is still unable to detect the printer then the next step is to contact your internet provider or whoever provided the router. When you do, ask them to:

• Open all ports.
  • Enable Multicasting.
  • Disable MAC filtering/MAC cloning.
  • Make sure the router has a 2.4 GHz (Giga-Hertz) band.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to connect your printer, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I wasn't able to print from MacAir OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 to HP Officejet 6830 printer.  Update to info on Forum, after talking with HP Support there is known issue with Comcast router TG862G that there is currently no firmware update for, but is a workaround at least to print, although then no scanning capability.  So essentially new router required - current suggested from per HP from Comcast is TG1682 dualband; although most people likely smarter and own other router 🙂

HP Recommended

Are you still helping with the HP 6830? I am hard wired and my computer still wont see my printer. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.