Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello!  My HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 suddenly Stopped working w wifi and won't recognize Wifi network name etc. when I try to set it up again.

It was working fine for a while since we switched to Verizon wifi / tv / Internet / cell phone service.  Then yesterday it suddenly stopped working.  Printer offline. 

I tried putting in "proxy server" info, resetting the wifi, adding the Fios network name (the printer would not discover it on its own this time), and password, and the printer just gave me the error that it didn't recognize the network name.  At my wit's end...this printer is "out of support"...but must I really buy a new printer?

My next step is to find a physical cable.

Granted, my laptop is kinda old (It's a Dell Windows Vista..(need to get my new battery installed so I can update OS to Windows 10), but I don't get why this is happening. 

I also tried adding the printer from my Macbook Air, but since the printer is offline it's undiscoverable there too. 😕

I tried some of the answers here..restarting, redoing the wifi settings, etc...n  luck. Any advice?? 

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DallasReb

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers and did reply to you!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

same printer/same issue as Julia this past week.  re-downloaded & installed all available drivers from support.hp.com &  restored network defaults,  used wireless setup wizard  which does find my network, but network wireless password is not accepted (and yes, i double/triple ck'd it).  we use eero mesh network so I also tried pausing the 5GHz, then connecting printer as 2.4GHz.  eero does say in their support docs, that it no longer supports wpa.  could that be what's going on?  if so, is there a 'new' driver download which allows the 8600 to use wpa2??

HP Recommended

@juliawww

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd love to help.

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the communities page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@DallasReb

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd love to help.

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the communities page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you! I will check now, and report back how it worked!  I appreciate your help. 🙂

Julia

HP Recommended

@juliawww

Sure, do keep us posted 🙂

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers and did reply to you!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

thanks for the help with wireless connectivity, it's working great.  however, have a  new issue - our printer assistant app has disappeared.  in reviewing, i read where the printer assistant is part of the product installation software/drivers from the support page, is i tried re-downloading and reinstalling, but no success.  other suggestions or recommendations?

HP Recommended

@DallasReb

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

YEA!!  printer asst has returned, thanks much for the quick response and easy to follow directions.  

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day and stay safe!:)

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.