Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When printing from iPhoto with an HP C8180 Photosmart Printer there are two options - ColorSync and Vendor Matching.

What are descriptions of those options and how do they affect what I am printing?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi pow3,

ColorSync is Apple Inc's color management API for the Mac OS and Mac OS X. The ColorSync selection enables driver-based color management. Selecting ColorSync tells the printer driver to specify one of its device profiles as the destination color space.

Vendor Matching is the programs color management. The programs color management typically calibrates the colors to be true, but doesn't take the printer or the paper type into consideration like the Color sync does. Keeping in mind Color sync enables driver-based color management as stated above.

For customers with little imaging expertise, default automatic color processing delivers good looking results. For users that desire professional color control, printer driver settings enable advanced color management features, including support for ICC color management.

I can't tell you which one is better, it is a personal preference. I suggest you print one picture with ColorSync and one with Vendor matching and compare. One may appear 'warmer' and one may appear 'cooler'.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi pow3,

ColorSync is Apple Inc's color management API for the Mac OS and Mac OS X. The ColorSync selection enables driver-based color management. Selecting ColorSync tells the printer driver to specify one of its device profiles as the destination color space.

Vendor Matching is the programs color management. The programs color management typically calibrates the colors to be true, but doesn't take the printer or the paper type into consideration like the Color sync does. Keeping in mind Color sync enables driver-based color management as stated above.

For customers with little imaging expertise, default automatic color processing delivers good looking results. For users that desire professional color control, printer driver settings enable advanced color management features, including support for ICC color management.

I can't tell you which one is better, it is a personal preference. I suggest you print one picture with ColorSync and one with Vendor matching and compare. One may appear 'warmer' and one may appear 'cooler'.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thank you, this is what I was looking for.
HP Recommended

I do remember at one point in time having the "ColorSync/Vendor" option when I wanted to print, but now I cannot find those options when I File>Print.  My print dialog box seems like it has changed since I got the new printer.  Where can I find the Color Matching option?  

HP Recommended

Have you tried the nix sensor (

https://nixsensor.com/?ref=3

). I use it to provide feedback to my printer. I also heard they might get a contract with a huge printer company. Once again, just proving that the sensor is super accurate.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.