Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows 7

Doing install on a new Officejet Pro I purchased at Costco.  Install went OK except I am constantly getting an error message on the printer screen that says  "A paper tray is open.  Close the tray to continue."

The first few times I got this error I was able to open and close the paper tray  and the error went away.  Now it stays on all the time and the printer does not print.

This is a brand new printer.    it was purchased at Costco within gthe last month.  Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @RamblinReck , and welcome to the HP Forums!

I hope you had a great holiday!

I see you're experiencing paper tray errors. I would love to help with that!

I'd recommend removing the ink cartridges, and performing a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also suggest downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi @RamblinReck , and welcome to the HP Forums!

I hope you had a great holiday!

I see you're experiencing paper tray errors. I would love to help with that!

I'd recommend removing the ink cartridges, and performing a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also suggest downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Jamieson,

Thanks for the recommendation.   I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

I noticed the paper tray design used on the 6835 is common on a number of HP printers.   Has this been a reliable design?    I have been frustrated that my brand new printer was having problems with the paper tray so quickly.

Happy New year and I wil let you know how this works.

RamblinReck

HP Recommended

Jamieson,

Your suggestions worked.

Thanks.

RR

HP Recommended

I tried what you stated removing the ink and the power cord, waited 60 seconds and the error continues, I printed two pages, the test page and one of my own then received the error. This is brand new just setting up this am.

Please advise

HP Recommended

The "Paper Tray is Open"  error returned today and the procedure listed above in not working. The printer is on and ready to print.  I print a single page.  Without touching anything on the printer the "paper Tray is Opn" error mesage appears after the printed page comes out.   This has happened multiple times.

I think that since I flagged this thread as Solved no one is watching it.    I think a new thread needs to be started.

RR

HP Recommended

Hi Nrags and RR,

Thanks for keeping me posted!

I'd recommend updating the printers firmware:

HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer Firmware

Thanks!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have done all of this and downloaded the new software. My model is a HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer, but it seems like it should be universal.

Ever since day one, I get the Paper Tray is Open error after everything I print.

It will print, but I get the error...as well as an error pop up on my laptop that it couldn't print...but it DOES print.

When I open and shut the paper tray, it placates the error, just for it to happen next thing I print...

Please help : )

HP Recommended

I too bought the HP 6835 at Costco about 6 weeks ago. I'm having the same problem and the fix you suggested didn't work. i have to pull the tray out, put it back in and it will print the job. when done the error msg returns.

HP Recommended

I continually get this message every time I print a page.   It takes me five or six times of opening and closing the paper tray to get the warning to clear.   I may have to take advantage of Costco's return policy.  I think HP needs to revisit the paper tray design.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.