Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just downloaded the new s/w and it finds the printer but the "update" button doesn't work.

HP Recommended

If we don't get this fixed soon mine too will be haeded back to Costco.

@RamblinReck wrote:

I continually get this message every time I print a page.   It takes me five or six times of opening and closing the paper tray to get the warning to clear.   I may have to take advantage of Costco's return policy.  I think HP needs to revisit the paper tray design.

HP Recommended

That didn't work see my update.

HP Recommended

Hello,

If you've tried all the steps in this thread, I'd recommend giving us a call.

You can utilize this website to learn how to contact us appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

After two hours on the phone, they are shipping me a new printer because I am still in warranty. One of the most stressful customer service calls I have ever been on.

HP Recommended

I understand the power down reset, but can you explain the reason for avoiding a surge protector or outlet strip?  This makes no sense to me.

HP Recommended

Hi EMC_guy ,

The reason behind this is due to the fact that the printer has a built-in surge protector.  By filtering through a surge protector or a power bar can cause a power drain, which in turn can cause false errors.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

The printer is not plugged into a surge protector and the it gets that error.  I have gone through all the recommended proceedures and still get the error.  I have barely had the printer for three months.  HP needs to re-evaluate this error.

Later did a chat session with HP.  They determined that the printer has an issue and are sending out a new printer.  The service was great, but they had to run through a script of things that are mostly posted here.  The one additional procedure they tried was setting the printer back to factory default, but the printer was unresponsive to the proceedure.

Are there any good printers out there?  My last printer lasted for 8 years the only reason I had to get a new one is the drivers were so out of date I couldn't get it to work correctly.  This is my second printer in 6 months.

HP Recommended

I just purchased yesterday the same printer 6830/6835.  I get the same message, "A paper tray is open. Close the tray to continue.  Touch ( arrow) to view paper loading instructions."

I tried HP's suggestion of powering down, taking out the ink cartridges.  This did NOT work.  Is there another solution, or this printer is being returned immediately.

HP Recommended

HP finally resolved my problem with the paper tray error by replacing the entire printer.  There is significant evidence that these printers somtimes have a defective paper tray sensor.  I am an electrical engineer, and one of my areas of expertise is power quality.  It is clear to me that a "surge suppressor outlet" is not a probable cause for this issue.   It's obvoius that the HP support people that respond in these blogs follow a common step by step script to resolve every issue.  I understand that the tactic works in the majority of cases, but I felt like I was being asked to check the engine oil to resolve a flat tire.

When I finally spoke to someone who understood that the paper tray sensor was the root cause, they offered to send me a new paper tray.  I asked if the defective sensor was part of the paper tray assembly that they offered to send.  They paused for a moment and asked if I would prefer to just replace the printer.  I said yes, and they sent me a factory refurbised unit that seems to work fine. 

One last note, the instructions that came with the new printer said to recycle the ink cartridges from my old printer and that they could not be used in the new printer.  I was not happy about that because the ink in my old printer was practically new, and they were the expensive high capacity ones that probably cost more than the printer.  I tried to ignore the instruction and put them in the new printer anyway, but the printer initialization sensed that they were used and would not complete until I took them out and put in the new "starter" ink cartridges.  I was happy to see that I was able to put the old cartridges back in after the installation was complete.  It gave me a warning message about sensing "prevoiusly used cartridges" but they worked fine after that. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.