Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On with HP support now. India I would surmise.  I am told my HP8600 is TOO OLD to regionalize. they say they are very busy and can they call me back, and I sad NO, I want to talk to a supervisor now!  I am now supposedly getting a supervisor. If they cant help, I will take the printer BACK TO FACTORY SETTINGS and try the new ink cartridges ,because I am told when you put the first ink cartridge in, it is how the printer sets your region. Worth a try, before I toss it like you. I realized a new printer is MUCH CHEAPER NOW, but I am still happy with this one. The whole thing is ridiculous! 

HP Recommended

HP SUPPORT had me on hold for 30 minutes . Never got a supervisor, and then a recording came on saying THEY COULDNT TAKE MY CALL NOW AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO CALL BACK AND THEN IT CUT OFF THE CALL.   Just fabulous Customer Support...NOT!!!  so, I guess i will take my printer back to factory settings and try and install the new ink cartridges that way.  As in the instructions, it says the printer will be reginalized by the first ink cartrige that is put in.

HP Recommended

I have been ripped off and disrespected so I have moved on from HP and is very happy with my Canon.

Planning on a new laptop too and I  am not going back with an HP. 

HP Recommended

I guess I am folding as well, and will just go purchase a new printer.

HP, seems your motive MUST BE to get people TO STOP purchasing your products . Well,you have succeeded !

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

From reading your thread, it appears that your printer has been locked to the incorrect region. 

This can happen if the first (regionalized) cartridge that was inserted into the printer was not intended for use in your region. Although intended for a differnt region, those cartridges would have worked at the time but locked your printer to that region meaning correct cartriges may not work now. So far, I've only seen this happen when cartridges were purchased through bad sellers online.

To remedy this, and allow your printer to start accepting correct region supplies again, you'll have to speak with one of our support agents to have the printer region unlocked.

Even if you printer is out of warranty, you should still recieve support for this as your cartridge comes with it's own warranty. I appologize if this was not the case previously - I'll have this brought to the necessary teams to get this addressed.

If you're still having difficulty after calling the HP support team again, let me know and we can escalate your case. 

-Kieran

----------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking on behalf of myself and not HP.

HP Recommended

@Kierann_L

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Hi

You are somewhat late to the discussion . This has already happened and I was TOLD to buy a new printer by the supervisor in the Escaltion Dept
HP Recommended
I am aware of all that you have said. If you read the entire forum thread, you will see this. The Escalation team has called me and told me to buy a new printer. They are not interested in Re-revitalizing my printer
HP Recommended

Read on a different thread about this same issue that replacing the genuine HP cartridges with Office Depot labeled remanufactured cartridges will fix the problem.

And it did.

Now I can use my printer again and the cartridges are considerably cheaper.

Way to go HP.

HP Recommended

@Anri-chan wrote:

Read on a different thread about this same issue that replacing the genuine HP cartridges with Office Depot labeled remanufactured cartridges will fix the problem.

And it did.

Now I can use my printer again and the cartridges are considerably cheaper.

Way to go HP.

This is likely a short term solution.  Remanufactured cartridges are generally HP cartridges that have been refilled.  It is possible the cartridges that  you got from Office Depot were  originally HP cartridges manufactured before 2017 when the -Zxx scheme was implemented.   Cartridges manufactured prior to the introduction of the Z regionalization were universal, they would work in any printer worldwide.  Once Office Depot start using -Z10 (or Zwhatever) cartridges the issue will return.

The "right" way to fix this is to get your printer set to use the proper (Z10 for the US/Canada) cartridges.

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information. To get warranty coverage you will need togo to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printer. At this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results.

The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this >

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select:

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software.

In the comment section indicate that you need a regionalization reset and the cartridges are in warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.