Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried your recommendation.   It did not work.   The only thing it did is decreased the level of color ink.   They were all recently replaced.   During all the previous testing, it showed they were at high levels.   Now it shows that they are at a low level. even after I refreshed.     Not sure why that happened.   This is my last HP.   My warranty ran out in April.   I replaced the black cartridge previously and had no problem.   Just recently replaced it and it worked at first - now it doesn't.   It is a HP cartridge.    I'm done!!!!!!!   HP just lost a customer!

HP Recommended

I too have a Photosmart 6510.  I purchased it in April 2011.  I see that this problem, black ink does not print, has been around for quite awhile now.  

I too have gone through this Forum and have done the many different things to get it to work, all without success.  I have gone through four brand new HP black cartridges, each with one or two sheets of paper being used, again nothing.  I have cleaned the print heads via the printer and via my laptop, again still does not work. 

Called HP, and the lady said even though I was out of warranty she would try to help.  Went through the same as above.  The one with touching the back arrow then home button, on the printer, a couple times, I found no screen change.  She and I spoke for almost an hour.  Afterwards, I had the heads cleaned some more, changed setting for print jobs, all without success.

I then sent a email to HP and got a response.  Went though some other things, no success.  The person I was writing too said he would send me two new black cartridges.  When they arrived, you guessed it, same problem and no successful printing in black.  It's strange that if I change my text to a different color, everything prints but black.

If this has been a problem with this product, why then hasn't HP done something more about it?  There's something very wrong with this product and HP need to own up to it.  My last HP printer lasted over 10 years with few problems.  This one has been in use about for about 2 years but I've printed less than two reams of paper.  Very light usage.

Wake up HP and admit problem and get these fixed.  As for me, needing a printer, I'm looking at a Canon or Lexmark.  If this doesn't get fixed, I will never purchase an HP again nor recommend one to any of me User Group friends or other acquaintances.

U.S. Army, Retired
HP Recommended

@Tonni wrote:

I found a fix that I'm hoping is not just temporary.  I had tried using the printer screen to run the Clean Printheads process, with no luck.  But then I sat at my computer and opened the print utility and ran the cleaning program from there.  After the first cleaning, I clicked on the button that indicated that it was not clean yet, and it ran a deeper cleaning.  Now my printer prints in black again!  My sister had the same problem and also ran the align printheads process, and it fixed her problem of not printing, too.

This worked for me too.

The only problem was that my computer, which has Windows, did not have this 'HP utility' program. Fortunately my girlfriend has a Mac and she did have the 'HP utility' program.

Thanks for the tip Tonni!

HP Recommended

Renne000,

THANKS for the information.  Unfortunately, I had tried this method  3 or 4 times already and it still does not print in black.  HP's Customer Service even walked me through this method with negative results.  

As I told HP Service, in an email, this problems has been around for quite awhile now and they do not seen to acknowledge that fact with a fix.  Why does a print, using HP ink, just stop printing in one color?  In this case, of course, BLACK!  HP added insult to more injury by sending me two new black cartridges which did not work either.  Then, they seemed to have broken all communications by not answering emails.  

It's bad enough that we need printers, some of which are expensive, then have to purchase even more expensive manufacture ink to keep them printing.  Now, when something happens like this, they want more money to offer a fix for something that many are experiencing.

For me, I'm looking at a Canon PIXMA MG 3220 at a local Office Depot.  HP doesn't wish to help, then I will forgo any futrue HP products!

Again, THANK YOU for the offer of help.  Too bad it did not work.  I do like this printer but it's barely two years old and I've gone through only one ream of paper.  Not a heavy user.  LOL

lopaka

U.S. Army, Retired
HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice.  I had tried everything but after I went on the computer and used the printer utility and did the second clean, all is well!!

HP Recommended

Preformed insturctions and black still does not print. When aligning cartridge message not calibrated

HP Recommended

Great suggestion on  opening the lid, removing the power cord, removing the cartridges, wetting a hot sponge and putting the hot sponge under the print nozzle. It worked after all else (hard re-set, secret re-set, etc.) failed. Thank you!

HP Recommended
thanks. the black is working again. now lets work on the color.
HP Recommended

where do i find the print utility on my computer thanks   step by step would be helpful

HP Recommended

I had this problem and tried all fixes on here without success, even the reset hacks. My CMY 3rd party cartridges' ink levels were read as "?" and the black was "full" - even thought only the CMY ones worked! 

Have just done the following and it's working again.

- Set the network version of the printer as default

- Turned off HP Real Life option in "Advanced Printing Preferences" (via Control panel - Properties - Preferences - Advanced)

- Cleaned the printheads

God only knows why it's working again - it CANNOT be a dirty printheads, the HP Estimated Ink levels are now showing all exclamation marks but (again) only the black has the amount shown - the rest are completely blank.

I realise this will probably not work for anyone else, but who can tell with this ridiculous product? If it does it again I shall comprehensively fix it with a sledge hammer for upload to youtube.

All the best, and thanks to all fellow sufferers for the help on here. We deserve better from HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.