Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Within the past year I purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 Installed. I've done some research on this and it seems there are many people with their HP printers going offline with wireless routers. This is very frustrating and I would expect HP to come up with an uncomplicated fix. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Note: If you manually set the printer's IP, make sure that it is outside of your router's DHCP range. Otherwise you may run into an issue with duplicate IP's on your network.

(If you don’t know how to do this, write back and I will explain).   CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW TO DO THIS?

HP Recommended

Turns out a lot of HP customers have this problem. Someone on this forum stated that after several months of trying to resolve the issue, they discovered the problem. They had to make the printer's IP address static instead of dynamic. That worked for me! Thanks.

HP Recommended

Assuming this is a home/small office network, and not a school or corporate network...

On a computer on the same network,in a Windows DOS box (cmd.exe), type after the >  

ipconfig /all

Find the computer's active connection interface (LAN or wireless depending if you're plugged in via ethernet cable or using wifi). Look for the Default Gateway listed for this connection. That should be your router's IP address. Go to this IP address by web browser to access your router's web based interface (nb whoever set up the router may have it password protected, or it may be using the default for that router model (Google's your friend if you don't have your router user manual handy). Somewhere in the router settings here will be a range of IP addresses specified for DHCP/dynamic assignment.

More info in this topic page 17 here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/SOLUTION-to-your-HP-printer-going-offli...

HP Recommended

I have a Macbook and Mac operating system so how do I set a static IP address for my HPPhotosmart printer?

HP Recommended

wireless laptop shows printer offlin HP4625

HP Recommended

On a MAC, find your router's IP address and netmask in System Preferences->Network->(your active connection)

Next, visiting that IP address by browser should get you to your router's web interface. Your router webpage may be password protected. Here, you will need to find the wireless DHCP settings. Look for the DHCP (aka dynamic) range. Choose an IP address for your printer which is OUTSIDE of that range. 

The manual/user guide for your printer will instruct you how to access the printer configuration settings by one of the following methods:

- control panel on the unit
- browser-based web interface (hint: print a status report from the unit to find the printer's current IP)
- configuration utility via printer properties
- command line interface (for advanced users)

Once you're in the printer configuration, find its network settings and turn off dynamic (DHCP)/turn on static IP. Set the static IP to use which you determined to be outside of your network's dynamic range, and set the netmask if it does not already match the one you found. Remember to save before exiting. If you were successful in setting the static IP, you can view the printer web interface (provided there is one) by browser at the new IP address.

HP Recommended

This is absolutely amazing. It works perfectly. Thank you Medic 

HP Recommended

Well, if this works..........I think I love you!:smileywink:

HP Recommended

Hi there,

After numerous attempts to fix my printers connectivity problems with the use of many different help sheets and forums I finally stumbled upon this one and I managed to fix my printers problem.

Thanks so much for all your help! I will reccommend you to anyone and use your tips to help others.

'It's odd to think that I get pleasure from staring at a screen for more than 7 hours a day...'
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.