Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have my printer set to print in fast draft all the time.  It prints and everything prints fine but it prints slow like normal mode only.  Not in fast draft

This is a HP Deskjet 6940 .  Windows XP

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The print speed specifications for fast draft, normal and best modes are approximate (and maximum) speeds. Actual print speeds will vary depending on the system configuration, software program you are printing from, and document complexity.

1) What are you trying to print? Ex: Plain document, pictures, document with text and graphics etc?

2) What is approximate no of pages printed per minute?

3) Which application are you printing from? Do you get similar speeds with other applications too?

Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs up icon in the post
Please mark reply as "Accept as Solution" if it solved the problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
HP Recommended

It does it with anything I print.  Test page, word document, etc.   

- with or without graphics.

it prints at normal speed, not sure how many pages per minute, but I am just use to printing in fast draft and now it won't.

HP Recommended

To understand the problem, can you try a print job from the PC and observe the cartridge movement across the page during the printing. Do you see a 10-15 second pause at the end of each sweep of the cartridges? If yes, then it is possible that one of the cartridges may have failed.

Try the following:

1) Remove one of the cartridges from the printer.

2) The printer will go into a Single cartridge or reserve mode.

3) Try the same print job again.

If it prints at better speeds, then the cartridge you removed will need to be replaced.

If the printer is still printing slowly, then reinstall the cartridge and remove the other cartridge. Try the same print job again. If it prints normally, the cartridge that was removed now will need to be replaced.

Let me know how it goes.

Please mark reply as "Accept as Solution" if it solved the problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I tired doing that and still had the same results.   It doesn't pause at the end of each sweep.  It prints it just not fast like in fast draft

HP Recommended

Please refer the document in the link below to troubleshoot further:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01905285

It is common to experience slow printing if the computer is running near its system resource limit. The document has some recommendations to free up system resources.

HP Recommended

We have a new HP Envy4520. It does not print in draft mode. No matter what we choose, draft, normal, every day, etc.

it prints the same speed and uses A LOT OF BLACK INK, at least 2 to 3 times as much as our HP 3540. We have already used 3 new black cartridges in 5 weeks and print the same number of regular sheets as before when one

cartridge lasted several months.  We print no photos or special paper.

Please help before we junk this model and switch to another make

Jurgen2

HP Recommended

Having the exact same problem with my HP ENVY 5664. Very frustrating.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with the HP Officejet Pro 6978. Ready to switch!

HP Recommended

@LindaClareW

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the fast draft mode does not work although, it prints in normal mode,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Click here to find out: Click here

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? or did it never worked before?

Which operating system are you using your printer with?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Meanwhile, Please clean your printhead and try printing in fast draft mode, let me know if that works.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.