Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart Premium c309a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in one C309a printer that is set to my default printer, but everything prints on my Photosmart 8250 printer.  I have gone to Printers and Devices and changed to set the C309a printer to default but I don't know why it's not printing.  There is no software or drivers to download for this printer.

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @aco122163,

Thanks for the update.

It looks like some driver conflict between your two printers. I would suggest you completely uninstall and reinstall both the printers and check.

• Unplug the USB cable from both the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Once done, press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to "run" window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now first install the Photosmart 8250 printer. You can just connect the USB cable and wait for 2-3 minutes for windows to automatically install the drivers.
  • If the auto-install does not start, then install the printer using Windows built in drivers. You can check http://hp.care/2bYE4kP for instructions.
  • Make sure the Photosmart 8250 printer is printing fine.
  • Now restart the computer again.
  • Now click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL26021/mp-66918-5/PS_AIO_05_C309a_Net_Full_Win_WW_140_047... to install the Photosmart c309a printer driver.
  • Connect the USB cable only while prompted and complete the installation.

Please let me know if this answers your query, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @aco122163 – Greetings!

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! I read your post about the printing issue that you are facing. I am happy to look into this issue for you!

Let’s first try to fix this issue using HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR). PSDR is an automated tool which can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2bZ9w2q to download and run HP PSDR. Once you open the program, select the “Photosmart C309 printer” and click on “Fix Printing” to automatically diagnose and fix the issue.

Let me know if that helps. Thank you & Good luck!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

@Dvortex wrote:

Hello, @aco122163 – Greetings!

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! I read your post about the printing issue that you are facing. I am happy to look into this issue for you!

Let’s first try to fix this issue using HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR). PSDR is an automated tool which can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2bZ9w2q to download and run HP PSDR. Once you open the program, select the “Photosmart C309 printer” and click on “Fix Printing” to automatically diagnose and fix the issue.

Let me know if that helps. Thank you & Good luck!

Cheers 🙂

I have run HP Print and Scan Doctor and it shows nothins is wrong with my printer, and when I run it on the 8250 photosmart printer, it says it's not set as default printer.  So this solution isn't the correct one.

HP Recommended

I did run HP Print and Scan Doctor and it showed that my printer was working just fine, and when I ran it on the 8250 photosmart it showed that it was not set as the default printer.  So my question hasn't been answered.

HP Recommended

Hello @aco122163,

Thank you for the update.

I would like you to check the following and let me know the result.

• Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers.
  • Right-click on Photosmart premium C309 printer and select "Printer properties"
  • Now click on "Print test page" and check whether the test page is being printed.

I'll watch for your reply.

Thank you!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

OK...........I printed the test page and it printed fine, but everything else prints on the photosmart 8250.  

Thanks for responding to my post.

HP Recommended

Hello @aco122163,

Thanks for the update.

It looks like some driver conflict between your two printers. I would suggest you completely uninstall and reinstall both the printers and check.

• Unplug the USB cable from both the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Once done, press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to "run" window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now first install the Photosmart 8250 printer. You can just connect the USB cable and wait for 2-3 minutes for windows to automatically install the drivers.
  • If the auto-install does not start, then install the printer using Windows built in drivers. You can check http://hp.care/2bYE4kP for instructions.
  • Make sure the Photosmart 8250 printer is printing fine.
  • Now restart the computer again.
  • Now click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL26021/mp-66918-5/PS_AIO_05_C309a_Net_Full_Win_WW_140_047... to install the Photosmart c309a printer driver.
  • Connect the USB cable only while prompted and complete the installation.

Please let me know if this answers your query, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.