Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP 2175 Printer is looping the error message 'press enter to align cartridges'.  It doesn't matter how many times I press enter the message still appears.  I have:

1.  powered off the printer and back on after 5 minutes

2.  reseated the printer cartridges

3.  changed the print cartridges

4.  disconnected from my PC and reconnected

5.  printed from the PC but standalone copy won't work and message stays.

6.  I've checked the print cartridges to make sure the tape wasn't left on them.

7.  I've checked to make sure the right number cartridge is in the correct slot (ie. 57in57 and 56in 56/58 also used 58 cartridge in same slot).

I've reviewed the help pages in the HP Solution Center and the troubleshooting pages and don't find a match for this problem.  Please help

P.S.  I'm running Windows XP with the latest software updates and the Solution Center is HP PSC 2170 series. 

Message Edited by clevando on 03-02-2009 07:20 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've found a workaround to get my copies today from this location:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpu00657

We can close this issue.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended
Hi,

Please follow these steps ands see if it resolves the issue.

insert the installation CD for the printer into your cd and cancel any installation window. then type "X:\util\ccc\uninstall_L2.bat" in the Run window(replace 'X' with the drive letter of teh CD drive the instalalion CD is in..). you will get a black Command Prompt window which will show the instructions. follow the instructions carefully. once the installation is done, it may ask you to restart, so do it.

then start the installation once again. once it is done, you shouldn't face this issue.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

Wow!  Thanks for the quick response.  I've done as you asked and get the message 'Windows cannot find 'F:\util\ccc\uninstall_L2.bat'.  Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. 

I entered this drive and filename in using the copy/paste function and changed the X to my drive F.  My software cd is dated 2003 version 2.1.0.  For HP 2100 series, 2170 series and 2200.series.  The drive label is AiO_2_4_1_020_Am.

HP Recommended
I have searched the disk for the file that you've instructed to use and it's not there.  Please give me more options to fix this problem.
HP Recommended

I've found a workaround to get my copies today from this location:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpu00657

We can close this issue.

HP Recommended

I find there are several printer models with this same problem in this forum.  Defective code, probably in the draconian cartridge section?  Links for solutions go to blank pages and there is no HP solution that I can find.  Evidently some HP employees know how to fix this problem, but will not share it with the public.  No instructions at all for Windows 7 users, but the problem also occurs with Windows XP, so it's an HP problem possibly caused by an unknown application incompatibility issue.  Local experts tell me to buy a different brand printer.

HP Recommended

For anyone else who has this problem, I found the following solution:

press and hold the button marked "Setup" on the printer, and while holding this button press the button marked "Options" (or maybe "Copy Options" on some models).  This seems to bypass the align cartridges screen.

cheers

Salty

HP Recommended

Are you an HP employee?  If not, Salty, you should be!

swn

HP Recommended

Dear IrishSalty,

Thank you soooo much for the quick and simple answer to a problem I wasn't able to find the answer to NO WHERE on HP website! I was has having to go to a print shop to fax stuff and have been out of a fax-printer for over a week! I was thinking a purchasing a new system. I lost my business and I'm not in the position to purchase a piece of equipment. I just want you to know how your solution helped me in such a BIG way!

J.

HP Recommended

I have this problem when using my printer in standalone mode just as a copier - so it is entirely within the printer firmware and nothing to do with the HP print driver software installed on the PC. In my case the loop goes on to feed a sheet of paper through which it then reports as the wrong type or misaligned, then it's back to the 'press enter to align cartridges'

The querky thing is it was quite happy to clean the cartridges and print a cleaning test page (so there is nothing wrong with the alignment or the paper) but then goes back to the align cartridges loop.

Yes Setup + Options buttons pressed together do skip out of this loop.  Thanks to all who have reported that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.