Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm on my fourth 4301fdw so I need some real help, I'm in the 30 day send it back period and that is all support is suggesting I do. 

They print fine for a while but then it goes down hill. My windows 10 is fully patched, Pro, 64 bit.  I'm using the HP Universal Print driver that was installed with setup. I know there is a PCL 6 driver, just not sure how to install. Instructions say go to settings and add printer. My firmware for printer is the latest June 2023. 

What I'm looking for is a document that outlines what the error codes mean. I get the error codes by printing the event log at the printer. I searched site, there is an error code page but it does not find codes. What happens is I send something top print, print queue shows it but it never prints. I have to power down printer and restart windows to get online.  

The current two codes I'm looking for are

F0,03,05.02

F0.03.04.02

My old laser 2025dn printed just fine but I need to retire as toner is very costly / hard to find. I'd also like to try the PCL 6 driver. When I drill down into the x64 folder, obtained from download file on HP site,  the are several .inf files, none with the name PCL6. 

HPIPPSTUB

HPMTPSTUB

HPONEDRIVER_V4_X64

HPRESTSTUB

HPWinSTUB

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

With this particular product the recommended driver should be the SmartUPD not the standard UPD.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I left the word Smart out of my description of current driver. So the full name of my current driver is 

HP Smart Universal Print which is the one I think you are saying I should have. 

I'm not sure it works as well as it should. I Hopefully support can direct me to the PCL 6 driver to try. 

Any chance do you know where error codes are documented? 

Everyone of these printers have produced different errors that I can't get an answer to. The first one I had I did get an answer, memory fault. 

HP Recommended

The error codes look odd compared to expected HP error codes. I tried to check my technician portal but it is down. If the error codes do not appear in the user guide then likely they are intended for certified support staff. Do you know if your printer installed onto a TCp/IP port or a WSD port? WSD ports have been problematic and I always suggest using a TCP/IP port for the driver. And yes it was the Smart Universal Printer Driver I was referring to.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

WSD just like my previous laser. Not sure how to change. Would WSD cause errors in the printer?

I will call HP again tomorrow. This is the fourth printer they've sent. First one had reoccurring memory errors, the second one had many error codes and would send a false out of paper. The third I didn't accept, the shipper must have dropped it, more than once. 

I'm really at wits end. I've always had HP lasers, they usually last more than 10 years and are disposed of while working. Something has gone wrong. 

HP Recommended

Update: I called HP. They do not know the meaning of the codes. According to their analyst they have been flooded with these code and it is under investigation. 

Very smart analyst. Had me reset printer again. Then we went to HP and got the latest Postscript driver.  hp.com/go/upd

Version 7.1.0 xx

Then removed current printer, not uninstall as she wanted software to remain. Then unpack by double clicking on exe file you downloaded.  Then do a manual printer install. If system says it found printer just click my printer wasn't listed. This allows you to manually install the printer. Use local / network printer then select TCP/iP. You have to create port using printers IP address.  (RepairaTrooper had suggested this earlier.) ( I reserved printer IP address on my router so it always comes up with same IP address). When you get to screen that wants driver click have disk and point it at the file the postscript exe unpacked. 

You need to reestablish scan to computer. Open HP Scan Assistant, disable scan to computer (even if it is not available) then enable. 

So now I'm in the wait and see phase. I asked analyst difference between wsd and tcp/ip port. The answer, sometimes WSD works and then it won't. I have to ask. Why doesn't HP printer setup routine force tcp/ip install if they know WSD ports are flaky.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.