Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 6520 printer all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP6520 all in one printer that does not print in black ink. I've tried all thing that HP suggested and still no luck. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have already been through all the troubleshooting steps in the document here without success there are a few more things to try before considering a new printer:

Start by removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here.

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows black to recover.

If none of the above restores black printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you have already been through all the troubleshooting steps in the document here without success there are a few more things to try before considering a new printer:

Start by removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here.

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows black to recover.

If none of the above restores black printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Would you suggest another HP printer or someone else. I've seem to have a lot of problems with HP products.

HP Recommended

What are your printing habits? I have some favorite printers, but my needs may not match yours.  With the following information I may be able to suggest some replacements:

• About how many total pages do you print per month?
  • Do you print photo's?  About how many per month?  What size - 4x6, 8x10, other?
  • What capabilities do you want - Print, scan, copy, fax?
  • How will the printer be connected - USB, wired LAN, wireless?
  • Is automatic two-sided printing a don't care, want or must?
  • Is automatic two-sided copying a don't care, want or must?
  • What country are you located in?  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

On a "Ink Cartridge Problem", as had been reported by another model, I also had this problem, even when replaced with a new cartridge. Another reported they removed the "bumper" tips around the ink discharge port on the cartridge and reinstalled the cartridge. They also reported to have used a bit of hot water dropped on the ink portals of the printer and the cartridge. When I did this at first there was still the error.  When pressure was applied to the installed cartridge above the ink portal connections, closed the lid, the error went away.  I suppose there has to be a certain seal at the portals for the cartridge to work properly. I also might add the cartridge was a used HP cartridge versus a Member's Mark cartridge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.