Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart B209a-m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

My HP Photosmart B209a-m inkjet printer is a few years old (out of warranty I believe) but was working fine until 2 days ago. All I did was replace the black cartridge with a new one, following the usual procedure as I have many times before. Now it won't print anything in black - eg when I try to print a 1-page Word document everything happens as expected but the paper is completely blank.

I have followed all the instructions on the online troubleshooting page(s) to no avail (except for taking out the print head and immersing it in warm water etc.)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@St_Noah

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart Plus All-in-One Printer - B209a. I understand that it is not printing in black, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly.
  • Clean the printhead.
  • Clean the printhead manually.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps mentioned above to fix this issue.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@St_Noah

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart Plus All-in-One Printer - B209a. I understand that it is not printing in black, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly.
  • Clean the printhead.
  • Clean the printhead manually.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps mentioned above to fix this issue.

Let me know how it goes.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again

Thank you for your response. I have not had time to look at this again until now.

As previously advised, I had already done everything on the troubleshooting list accessible via the link you provided - all except manually cleaning the print head.

I was all set to perform this final step today and first decided to test the printer one last time - only to discover that it is now working fine.

I can only conclude that for some reason the new black cartridge needed some idle time prior to working properly.

Anyway, my problem is now thankfully sorted - so thanks again for your time and input.

HP Recommended

@St_Noah

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20 wrote:

@St_Noah

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need assistance.

Cheers.

Nothing has worked for me and my cartridges still won't align even tho I purchased all new ones > No black print.

HP Recommended

@rhoagie

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP Photosmart B209a printer is not printing in black. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

I also appreciate your effort in trying all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above post.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned in the document to fix this issue.

If that does not fix, please contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.