Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
I've just purchased a Photosmart C5380 to replace my ailing Epson.  Loaded on an iMac 2.4GHz with Snow Leopard and all latest updates and drivers.  Prints and scans just fine...almost.  I am unable to printon a printable CD/DVD.  Lowering the CD/DVD door and prssing OK brings up a message telling me to use CD/DVD software to print.  But I can find nothing.  The manual I have in front of me informs me that I should use the software that came with the product to create and print on a CD/DVD.  I can find nothing!  I have downloaded HP Photosmart studio but that does not seem to work.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey all,

When we developed the drivers and software for Snow Leopard, there were some issues getting CD/DVD printing to work.  We decided to go with releasing the software without CD/DVD printing functionality.  In the meantime, we modified the HP Photo Studio software and got everything working in 10.6 again.

So what do you need to do?

#1 - Make sure you have the latest 10.6 drivers for your printer downloaded and installed from hp.com.

#2 - go here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/united-states/pse/hp_photosmart_studio_software.dmg and download and install HP Photo Studio.

You will now be able to print on CD/DVD's through HP Photo Studio.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

hello there

I have the same problem with the same printer and operating system...with an added issue that i also cant scan... comes up with an error when trying to scan using the software and also the onboard printer controls

anyone from hp tell me what to do please? 

HP Recommended

im having the exact same problem!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

HP Recommended

Ran into the same problem after I upgraded to Snow Leopard!  VERY Frustrating!

HP Recommended

Hi Fatfreddy and everyone else who is having the same problem. I too recently purchased an HP C5380 mainly to print on printable DVD faces, and agree that the supplied software isn't much help. I've searched extensively for a solution and have downloaded a few programs to try them; but nothing seems to work all that well. You've probably tried this, but in case you haven't. My solution, even if a bit simplistic, was to use Photoshop to create my own template ... a 14 x 14 cm x 300 dpi (200 &140 dpi work as well) white square with a grey circle, properly centred, the size of the DVD as a guide. I also put in place a central white circle just fractionally smaller than the size of the centre hole of the DVD. As the white doesn't print, it effectively acts as a mask. You can then build any required images onto this template and flatten the layers for printing. If you then go to Page Setup and set the Format for the C5300 and the Paper size for CD/DVD, 120mm. Then select Print. In the first Print setup panel, select Centre to Image and Scale to Media, then Print... On the print screen, set the printer as the C5300, the Print to Photo Paper and hit the Print button. The result was a beautifully printed DVD, right to the centre hole.  If your outer and inner white masks aren't quite the right size, you may have to clean a bit of ink off the edges of the DVD. It took me 4 DVDs to get the layout right, but now that it is, i can use the template for any DVD label. Apart from the the C5380 is great value. Hope this helps someone. 

HP Recommended

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this, and the fact that this forum in on the HP site and no one from HP has replied.  To allow an upgrade that stops a major function from working and then not supply a fix quickly is ridiculous.

Did anyone get this to work?  At the moment, as a business that prints DVD/CDs a lot we need a solution.....

Thanks to anyone who can help - preferably HP!!!!!! 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and it seems very tricky to get it fixed i can't find a solution anyware. I downloaded the new drivers but with no succes. When trying to contact the hp customer service through email i got the response that my serial number was incorrect (which it isn't i check like 5 milion times) how handy for them. can't call now as it is after 5pm and there is no online chat expert available for the photosmart c5380. That all totally sucks. I am amzed too that after many months there doesn't seem to be a solution. I really hope somebody has figuered out what to do.

HP Recommended

Hey all,

When we developed the drivers and software for Snow Leopard, there were some issues getting CD/DVD printing to work.  We decided to go with releasing the software without CD/DVD printing functionality.  In the meantime, we modified the HP Photo Studio software and got everything working in 10.6 again.

So what do you need to do?

#1 - Make sure you have the latest 10.6 drivers for your printer downloaded and installed from hp.com.

#2 - go here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/united-states/pse/hp_photosmart_studio_software.dmg and download and install HP Photo Studio.

You will now be able to print on CD/DVD's through HP Photo Studio.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem .... tried downloading but still can't print CDs    .... only labels for Cds .......

HP Recommended

(Mac OS X, 10.6) 

This doesn't help at all. I have downloaded the last driver I could possibly find and installed the last version of Photosmart Studio. Yes, 'the Studio' does have the option of creating a CD printing project but when selecting 'print' I only get an error message saying (translated from Swedish), 'there was an error with the settings for paper size and type for printing'... If I try to continue I get a print dialogue box where I can't select CDs as the media to print on, only paper sizes. I would assume this is a driver problem but since I have installed and reinstalled the driver, rebooted the computer and tried again with the same results, I don't know what to do next? I bought the printer for this feature and I am highly dissappointed. Please help. 

Jesper
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.