Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am unable to close the paper tray in an Officejet 5740 after pulling it out in order to insert new paper to fill an empty tray. What is the fix? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Welcome @Ravens77,

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are unable to insert the paper tray in the printer. I will certainly try and help you.

Check for any obstructions. You could remove the output tray and then try and insert the paper tray again. Then put the output tray back in. There is more information available in the printer's manual which might help: Officejet 5740.

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up" for my assistance. Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Welcome @Ravens77,

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are unable to insert the paper tray in the printer. I will certainly try and help you.

Check for any obstructions. You could remove the output tray and then try and insert the paper tray again. Then put the output tray back in. There is more information available in the printer's manual which might help: Officejet 5740.

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up" for my assistance. Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks! Simply removing the output tray, next inserting paper in the paper tray, then re-installing the output tray solved the problem. I was able to print my jobs immediately. Again, thanks for your timely and helpful response!

HP Recommended

I have pulled out all the papertrays and opened the inside looking for bits of paper or jams but nothing is wrong. Even with just ten sheets of regular HP printer paper, it still says to close the tray to the paper. I've repeated the steps many times. I've shut down the printer to make sure it's cool. I'm sure there is nothing stuck or ripped or jammed inside. It just won't print because it's insisting that the tray is not closed. If it were any more closed, it would still be in the box with blue tape on it. This happened while the computer was 98% finished printing my copy of my taxes, perfect timing for a brand new machine and no more time to fool around with it. HELP ME PLEASE, THANKS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.