Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 3755
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to create a custom paper size of 4 by 5.25 inches? If not, is there a way to center 4 rectangles of this size on the 8.5 by 11 paper without the margins changing the dimension when I print? What I'm trying to do is print 4 jpeg images centered in 4 rectangles of this size paper for greeting cards.  I know I can't print edge to edge, but there is plenty of white space around the images. Whenever I try to do this, the images are not centered in the space they need to be which makes trimming the 1/4 off each side difficult. I want to do 4 to a page to save paper. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sewfaithful 

@sewfaithful wrote:

Is there a way to create a custom paper size of 4 by 5.25 inches?

If not, is there a way to center 4 rectangles of this size on the 8.5 by 11 paper without the margins changing the dimension when I print? What I'm trying to do is print 4 jpeg images centered in 4 rectangles of this size paper for greeting cards.  I know I can't print edge to edge, but there is plenty of white space around the images. Whenever I try to do this, the images are not centered in the space they need to be which makes trimming the 1/4 off each side difficult. I want to do 4 to a page to save paper. 

This is a modest printer - it does what it should but it may not do what you want in this case.

Nonetheless, it may be worth the time to check and test.

Answer to the first question:

According to the Specifications, Windows OS does not support custom sizes.

That said, it does appear that you are not actually trying to print on custom size paper (one photo / image) per paper, and instead want to place four images on a "letter size" paper, each image 4 X 5.25 inches.

The answer to the second question:

Maybe - the calculations might allow you to get "somewhat close", at least.

Discussion

While HP Smart for Windows can easily print the four images you want, it does not allow you to customize the size of each image.  The closest choice for "photo size" is 3.5 x 5 inches.

What about the desired / necessary 4 x 5.25 inch photo print - all on one paper?

Normally one could force the custom size using Word:

For example, set the margins to custom (.1 on an edge), place your images into the page.  Force the image size with the various controls, for example, by pixel size or by using a Text Box in which you can enclose each image.

and / or

It might be possible to print the exact size of the photos that you want using  Paint (mspaint) - I have not done the calculations for you to double check the results. 

NOTE:  Based on the results in the quick Word test, I'd say "not the way you want".

What is going on?

The problem, if there is one, is that "plenty of white space around the images" is not a printer definition for required margins. 

In the case of this printer, the bottom margin is required to "larger" (more white space required) than the other margins. 

This means (that) to be "even" around the top and side edges, the top and side margins, must also meet the minimum for the bottom. 

That "larger white space" requirement means your allowed print size must be calculated to fit inside the larger margins.  

It still might be doable, though the margin restrictions in the printer do mean you have to first do the math to judge whether you can have precisely what you want.

Based on a quick check, it won't work - but a "quick check" is not a full testing of the setup, either.

Print Margin Bottom (A4)12.7 mm
Print Margin Left (A4)3 mm
Print Margin Right (A4)3 mm
Print Margin Top (A4)3 mm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since HP Smart cannot account for the custom size of the photo, I suggest you open a blank Word document, set the margins to "Narrow" (.5 inches on a side).

Set your images into the document (use INSERT and not copy/paste).

Adjust the settings; watch out for and avoid "fit" option that would work but might change the size of the image slightly.

Save and print.

Want to save ink when testing?

Create the necessary document > create Text Boxes with a boundary visible in the document and print that - empty boxes to require fewer resources than do full image prints.

Example - Word

Category Layout > Orientation = Landscape

Category Insert

Select to insert a plain Text Box

Click on Layout Options box >>>

Set “Text Wrapping” = Top and Bottom

Click “See more…”

Tab Position = Absolute Position 0 pixels

Tab Size > Calculate Text Box Size

For 4 x 5.25” at 96 PPI 

384 Pixels X 504 Pixels

Lock Aspect Ratio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Notice >>  When printing images in Word documents, make sure of the following:

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Layout > Click Advanced > Switch OFF HP Real Life Technologies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could be wrong about this, of course.  I have only tried a couple of quick setups.

References

Use Pixels to Print Size Calculator (calculator #2 on the page) to calculate the Pixels to Print Size

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available from the Windows Store.

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Printer - one of

HP DeskJet 3755 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help.

Although I was not able to fit the 4 images on a single letter-size sheet, I was able to create the custom size paper of 4 by 5.25. 

I went to the printer server properties in my computer control panel and was able to create a "new form" in this size.

It now appears in my drop-down under paper size in the print menu!

HP Recommended

@sewfaithful 

Good news, then.

It has been known to happen.  In the past that the claim in the specs that Custom Size paper not supported in Windows is actually wrong based on having a newer print software version available.   Not all the time, but sometimes this is the case.

What? 

The specs were written when the statement was true - "things have changed"..  A newer driver has been written that supports the custom size.  I have been caught both ways on this one, "Sure, it will work" and then "not-so-much".   Meh.

I am very glad that this time the Custom Paper Size is supported.  It is the best viable option since the four prints of the size you need do not fit on one sheet of paper.

Happy Printing.

Stay safe.

For those reading...

HP Document:

HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.