Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 7605 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, my printer shows error code 8AF30001 after trying to make a firmware update. I turned it off for more than 30sec several times without getting a solution. Can somebody help me, please?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@TomS910

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting an 8AF30001 error on the printer, I am glad to assist you.

As you have tried most of the steps to fix the issue and the issue still persists.

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue, I am sending you a private message. 

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

(tl:dr) I decided to post this so that no one else will have to deal with what I dealt with! While updating drivers for my new HP Smart Tank 7602 printer, an update failed, showed error code 8AF30001 and completely bricked my new printer! I did a thorough Google search to find out how to fix it and no one had a solution! I even contacted HP Support and the solution I was provided with was troubleshooting for old printers. I could not find any of my own solutions and thought I would definitely have to send my printer back.

Fortunately for me, someone left a review on another website with a solution they figured out for themselves and I came here to share it with fellow customers and HP Support so that no one else has to deal with what I did.

(Disclaimer: This is a repost. I personally did not find this solution but I am super grateful to have found this information and just had to share!!!)

Here is the solution: 

"HOW TO FIX 8AF30001 (and possibly others):

1. Turn the printer off and unplug it

2. While pressing and holding in the Power button, plug the printer in (continue holding power button)

3. When two buttons illuminate (back arrow, red x) release the power button. Wait a few seconds

4. This will allow it to boot into a manufacturer diagnostic and maintenance menu. My compliments to the designers for having the smarts to include a lower level BIOS to fix broken firmware flashes!!!

5. Push the Question mark to get to the menu

6. The screen will show Prev, OK, Next. 3 buttons will be illuminated; the back arrow, circled question mark, and a red X. These are your Prev, OK, and Next buttons!

7. Click either the back arrow (Prev) or the red X (next) to cycle through the menu until you find the "DRIVE REFLASH" option

8. Click the circled question mark (OK)

9. Wait for it to complete and hopefully boot back into normal working mode.

Notes: Getting to the menu was sometimes clunky and I had to tap the buttons a few times for it to show up (red x). Also, You can probably hit the red x to reflash and skip the menu but there's other options that might be helpful at other times (like safe mode booting, boot without scan, etc.). There really is tons in there, again, as an IT SE my compliments and appreciation to the designers!

Hopefully this works for others as it did for me."

HP Recommended

This works like a charm!! I fixed my HP790 Smart Tank with this same method for same error. Thank you very much for this valuable information.

HP Recommended

Happy to help!!!

HP Recommended

Did not work for my HP Smart Tank 7605.
I get the arrow and the red cross, but no question mark. Nothing happens from then on.
Seems to be really bricked.
Or has anyone else any suggestions, please?

HP Recommended

Are you sure you pressed it enough times? Sometimes, it seems as if it didn't work but you'll have to keep trying.  I noticed that myself the first few times.

HP Recommended

I was in contact with HP Support today.
Here's the (different) procedure to get into the rescue/recovery menu with the HP Smart Tank 7605:
Press right X

Press Left Arrow

Press right X serveral times, until the menu with the question mark appears.

Then follow the instructions of OrtizFam.
After using your instructions, I was able to reuse my printer.
Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

It's great that HP Support was able to help you get into the menu an alternate way! And I'm glad I could help you reset your printer! 

Happy printing!!!

HP Recommended

Had the same problem and this step-by-step method worked perfectly. Thank you for posting this fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.