Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

Several times over the past few days I have been typing documents and the process stops with the above error.  If I turn off the printer and leave it for some time as well as re-booting my laptop I can print a few more pages but then the error returns.  I have checked that the ports are functioning with a portable drive and memory sticks.

Is there some cleaning routine I might have missed?  I can't keep printing my documents four or five sheets at a time

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Emma999,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The issue you’re experiencing with your HP ENVY 4520 All-In-One Printer, where printing stops due to an error, can be quite frustrating. Here are some troubleshooting steps and cleaning routines you can follow to address this problem.

Troubleshooting Steps

Check for Software Updates:

• Ensure that you have the latest printer drivers and software installed. Visit the HP Support website and download the latest drivers for your HP ENVY 4520.

Restart Printer and Computer:

• Power off the printer and unplug it from the power source for about 10-15 minutes.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Plug the printer back in and power it on.

Check Printer Connection:

• Verify that the printer is properly connected to your computer. If using a USB connection, try a different USB port.
  • If using a wireless connection, make sure the printer is connected to your Wi-Fi network and that there are no network issues.

Print Queue:

• Clear the print queue to remove any stuck print jobs.
  • On Windows, go to Devices and Printers, right-click on your HP ENVY 4520, and select See what's printing. Cancel all pending print jobs.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool, which can diagnose and fix many printing and scanning problems.

Cleaning and Maintenance

Clean Printhead:

• Open the HP Printer Assistant on your computer.
  • Navigate to Printer Maintenance or Tools and select Clean Printhead.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printhead cleaning process.

Check for Paper Jams:

• Open the paper tray and remove any stuck paper or debris.
  • Check inside the printer for any jammed paper and remove it carefully.

Align Printhead:

• In the HP Printer Assistant, find the option to Align Printhead and follow the prompts to ensure proper alignment.

Firmware Update:

• Check if there is a firmware update available for your printer. This can sometimes resolve bugs and improve performance.
  • Go to the HP Support website and look for firmware updates specific to your printer model.

Reset Printer:

• Sometimes a factory reset can resolve persistent issues. Note that this will reset all settings to default.
  • Refer to your printer’s user manual for instructions on performing a factory reset.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.