Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office jet pro 6960
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My Officejet pro 6960 has administrative locks in place, which prevents me from changing the "ethernet setup" OR the "Wireless setup" in the "Network Setup" section.  The printer does not have a wireless or ethernet ip address, so i cant conenct to the deive's built in web engine.

How can i hardware reset the devive back to factoiry default WITHOUT using a WIndows device or a Mac.  I can see the config of the printer from a USB conencted MAC however every option states the folowing when i try to use it. "This feature was locked or disabled by the device administrator."

HP, you have made this device very easy to lock out and even less easy to reset to "out of box" settings.  I have tried holding down power buton when turning on.  All the options i have see are based onthe fact the device is already on a network.  I cant enable wireless as the option is GREY'D OUT and i cant locally unlock the admin lock.

Please advise what the magic trick is to reset the pronter to factory default.  I dont care about any settings i will loose.

Yours in desperation over a seemily simple issue.

kindest regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ended up calling HP support as a simple taks that is no obvious is a product issue..  The answer is simple but not documented.

From the home screen press the retrun icon (not illuminated at this point) 3 times very quickly.  The screen wil then change to show a single menu item "Support Menu"

Press "Support Menu"

Use the up / down arrows to select "Resets Menu" & press OK.

You can select from: 

• Partial reset 
  • Semi-FUll reset {I used this one)

Press OK when the required option is selected.  When i did it the printer shut down.  I turned it on and went through an out of box config.  NOTE: you must enable e-print to register the printer with Instantink.  Make sure you get the printer to print your "Claim code" to reconnect to your instant ink acount with HP.

The PDF for the printer does not conver these setps as the menu option listed above is not inthe text when searched for.

I can now connect to the printer via an IP address and manage it remotely.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

[Edit - deleted, did not work.]

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Hi, will try and report back. I must have missed that.
HP Recommended

I dragged down the menu from the top

I presses the gear icon (top left) to select the setup menu

scrolled down to make the menu option called "reports" visible.

I have no cancel button.  (Do you mean a read touch sensitive button which would illuminate during a print job.)

Ive tried using the "return"  (three times) icon bottom left of the screen, but to no avail.  

I can belive this is that complicated.

HP Recommended

I have asked to have one of the HP Support agents step in to this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I ended up calling HP support as a simple taks that is no obvious is a product issue..  The answer is simple but not documented.

From the home screen press the retrun icon (not illuminated at this point) 3 times very quickly.  The screen wil then change to show a single menu item "Support Menu"

Press "Support Menu"

Use the up / down arrows to select "Resets Menu" & press OK.

You can select from: 

• Partial reset 
  • Semi-FUll reset {I used this one)

Press OK when the required option is selected.  When i did it the printer shut down.  I turned it on and went through an out of box config.  NOTE: you must enable e-print to register the printer with Instantink.  Make sure you get the printer to print your "Claim code" to reconnect to your instant ink acount with HP.

The PDF for the printer does not conver these setps as the menu option listed above is not inthe text when searched for.

I can now connect to the printer via an IP address and manage it remotely.

HP Recommended

I am glad you got the issue resolved.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

it should have been in the HP documentation in my opinion.  SO many webpages which are not right claim to have the answer.

Cheers for your response in the spirit of helping a fellow human being...

HP Recommended

The post here (now archived, but still valid) described some of the reasons the information is not in the manuals.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Totally worked!! Awesome, Thank you for straight to the point instructions

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.