Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 5010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was hoping to assist my mother in setting up the HP Envy 5010 that we recently purchased from Staples. Unfortunately, it seems we're missing the setup ink cartridges as indicated on the screen prompts. The issue is that despite buying the printer with new HP Certified cartridges, we're unable to proceed with the setup.

I've learned that the 'Setup cartridges' aren't available for separate purchase and are essential for the setup process. While browsing through previous discussions, I came across a suggestion where someone managed to bypass this requirement through a power-on reset, though the details were shared privately via email.

Could you please advise if there's any way to bypass this setup test so my mother can start using the new printer?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I've seen on this forum that the only option left is "to perform an OOBE reset and re-initialize the printer". Can you private message me the instructions. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @Nowilow,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're missing the setup ink cartridges for your HP Envy 5010 printer, there are a few potential solutions you can try to bypass the setup test and start using the printer with your new HP Certified cartridges.

• Check the Packaging: Double-check the printer's packaging and any included materials to ensure that the setup ink cartridges weren't overlooked or misplaced.
  • Try Different Cartridges: If you have other HP cartridges available (even if they are not setup cartridges), try inserting them into the printer. Sometimes the printer will accept standard cartridges to bypass the setup process.
  • Reset the Printer: Some HP printers allow you to reset them to factory settings, which may bypass the setup process. Refer to the printer's user manual or HP's online support resources for instructions on how to perform a factory reset.
  • Skip Setup: Check if there's an option on the printer's control panel to skip the setup process. This option might not be available on all HP printers, but it's worth checking.
  • Use Third-party Setup Cartridges: While it's generally recommended to use genuine HP setup cartridges, in some cases, third-party setup cartridges may work to bypass the setup process. However, this is not guaranteed, and it's important to use caution when using non-genuine cartridges.
  • Update Firmware: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up-to-date. Sometimes firmware updates address compatibility issues or bugs that could be preventing the printer from recognizing the cartridges properly.
  • Return or Exchange: If you purchased the printer recently and it came without the setup cartridges, consider returning or exchanging it for a new one. This would ensure that you receive all the necessary components to set up the printer properly.

Keep in mind that using non-genuine or unauthorized methods to bypass the setup process may void your printer's warranty or cause other issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello @Alden4, I've already try different cartridges (HP genuine). I've reset the printer (semi-full reset) by entering a hidden menu by pressing 4 times the return button when the message "setup cartridges" is on the screen. But it doesn't work.

I think I can't skip the setup and i think I can't update firmware because i'm lock on the "Setup Cartridges" screen.

Can you, please, give me a solution to bypass the setup cartridges screen ? I only have genuine cartridges but no setup cartridges.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Can you help me about a solution to bypass this message ? I've tested all the technique you gave me.

HP Recommended

Hi @Nowilow,

Thank you for your response, 

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.