Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M234sdwe Printer

My Laser Jet Printer has an error code 79 and I have tried everything from unplugging for a minute to turning it off and back on, updating firmware and such.  Nothing is working.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @RandallSr,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The Error Code 79 on an HP LaserJet printer typically indicates a firmware or hardware problem that could be triggered by various issues, including corrupted print jobs or conflicts with certain software. Since you've already tried some of the basic troubleshooting steps like unplugging the printer, restarting it, and updating the firmware without success, here are a few more steps you might consider to resolve the issue:

Clear Print Queue:

• Make sure to clear the print queue completely. Sometimes a stuck print job can cause this error. On your computer, open the device queue by navigating to the 'Printers & Scanners' settings, selecting your printer, and choosing 'Open queue'. From there, cancel all documents.

Remove and Reinstall Printer:

• Remove the printer from your list of devices in 'Printers & Scanners', and then add it again. This can sometimes reset any errors and clear out problematic configurations.

Isolate the Printer:

• Disconnect the printer from any network it might be on, and connect it directly to a single computer via USB (if possible). This step helps determine if the issue is related to network conflicts.

Perform a Factory Reset:

• If the firmware update did not solve the problem, try a factory reset. Look up the specific model of your LaserJet for instructions on how to perform a reset, as the process can vary. Typically, this involves navigating through the printer's menu using the control panel.

Check for Specific Software Conflicts:

• If the error occurs when printing specific documents or from specific applications, try printing from different applications or file types. If the issue is isolated to a specific type of document or application, it could be a software conflict.

Update Computer and Printer Drivers:

• Ensure that not only the printer's firmware but also the drivers on your computer are up to date. Check the manufacturer's website for the latest driver software.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I saw this solution in another thread that helped resolve the another user's 79 issue. You might want to try these steps :- 

1. Turn off the printer
  2. Remove the toner cartridge from the printer
  3. Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the printer again. Printer will show Er07 indicating missing cartridge. Now insert the toner cartridge. 
  5. Error should go away and the printer is ready for printing.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.